House boats

capinjack

Recruit
All,

I'm new to the whole boating thing and found this place on a google search. So first of all greetings to all!

My wife and I were kicking around the idea of living on a boat for a while. We would be interested in a sail boat type (yes I'm that new that I don't even know the different technical types of boats) that will fit us comfortably for this situation. (i.e. small kitchen, shower, toilet, bed, small living space etc.)
We live in the DC/VA area so I believe there are areas to keep the place docked. My questions are: what type of boat is recommended for this? Are there sail boats that meet this requirement? Is it wise for such a newbie to take on such a task? What are downfalls or pitfalls to this type of lifestyle that others have found? Should I start with a small boat and learn how to control it well or will just being well educated and careful OK?

I anxiously await responses and in the mean time I'm off to read the sticky for new boaters!

Thanks

Capin' Jack

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: House boats

Welcome to iboats. :)

A sailboat of that size is not for rookies. It'll scare you to death and your experience will not be a good one. Learn how to sail first in something under 20'. You would be better off with a cabin cruiser or a houseboat. They are a thousand times easier to keep under control. If you can drive a truck, you can operate either of those. But you have to know the rules. Google US Power Squadron, USCG Auxiliary, and Boating Safety online courses.

The difference between operating a large motorboat and a large sailboat is akin to the difference between a truck and an airplane. Before making such a large investment and life changing experience, at least find out if you even like sailing in the first place.

There is one huge advantage to a sailboat and that's the cost of opeation. Wind is free. Houseboats and cabin cruisers are very expensive to operate. But the lifestyle in DC is going to be a seasonal one. You're going to have go south if you want to do it year-round.

I lived aboard a 22' sailboat while I was going thru my divorce and I wouldn't trade that summer for anything. I had a good idea of what I was gettng myself into since I've sailed since the 70s in much smaller craft (not that a 22 is considered large). Ironically I was working at a marina in Oshkosh on high performance Cigarette-type boats at the time. Berthing was free for me and there were proper hygiene facilities available to me onsite. Would I do it again on a more permanent basis given the right boat and climate?

DANG RIGHT!!! :D

Bondo

Staff member

The difference between operating a large motorboat and a large sailboat is akin to the difference between a truck and an airplane.

Great Analogy Willy,..........;)

flashback

Captain

Most folks that live aboard don't take the boat out very often.. too much prep.. just think about all the stuff you have to stow or secure before you leave the dock..my cuz lived on a morgan 41 for several years and never moved it. he said it would take him a week to get everything put up or taken off....:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i sail and motor, there is very little alike. also the sail catagory, usually has less space, and aminities. i would not attempt to live aboard anything smaller than 40' dock space, utilities, sewage pumpage, upkeep, having here hauled to get the barnacles off. all great expenses. it takes a very special person to live in a marina. go spend the windy night on someone else's boat, the wind, clanging of gear on sail rigs, rocking of the boat. to some it is sweet music, to others it's totally unnerving.