Bogging Out when i go from WOT to idle

yorkserv

Seaman
I have a 1988 200hp mercury on a 20' mako Just last weekend i was on my way out and the engine went from one second to another from 5000 rpm to 3900 i thought it might of been the primer bulb at the time but as i got further into the day i noticed that when i would get out of WOT to a light idle the engine would bogg out i would restart it and it would cut out unless i gave it some throttle right away.... I tried squeezing the buld while i was about 3/4 throttle to see if i could get the RPM back but not much of a difference I really need some Pointers and Specs on Pressures as far as compression, fuel pressure, etc. Has anyone ran into a problem like this and if so what did you find????

Also in the winter i rebuilt the carbs ( motor is running more on the rich side than lean) changed spark plugs, i never really got into the engine further than that. I had about twenty gallons left in fuel tank that is about four months old and added another fourty on sunday of last week. I do not mix oil into fuel i use the oil injection system on the engine... Also any feedback on the oil injection system on these bad boys.

Tomorrow Morning I am pulling the spark plugs to see if there is a fould out plug, also going to check fuel pump to see if there is any internal failures with it. If you need any more info please let me know more feedback the better

Thanks

York Serv

Laddies

Banned
Re: Bogging Out when i go from WOT to idle

It sounds like you may have a inlet needle sticking

gss036

Commander

Do you have a water/fuel seperating filter? If so, check it for water. Usually this will show up in a filter when you have a little bit of rough water that shakes things up good, then as the water settles back to the bottom it will run ok.
I am running a 1989 Merc 200 on my 23WA Seacraft w/the oil injection still working, no complaints. I have owned them both since new.

yorkserv

Seaman

Thanks for the quick response, I will look into the inlet needle What would be the best way to diagnose that? Kinda new or GREEN at the whole carb thing.. And about the water seperator filter i thought that also so i changed it out before going out last night I changed the priming bulb the water seperator filter and gave it a try and last night it was 2' or less out there i mean it was smooth last night was one of those fishing nights that made me wish i had a new motor but i am to attached to this workhorse that i presently have..

Once again thanks guys i really do appreciate this!!!!