Leaking water

Robby662

Cadet
I got a Mercruiser 3.0 140. Taking on water pretty good. I can see it seeping in behind the motor, (hard to explain) above the shaft, directly behind the long steel steering rod. It only leaks when I am parked and I realized by just getting the top part of the out drive up out the water it almost completely quits. I have done a lot of work on this boat this year I would hate to mess it up over something stupid. I have done a couple of searches on here but still need to know.

1. Do you think I could be hurting other parts if I continue to run boat as is

2. Can a very common DIY'er replace the parts needed to fix it.

I have already downloaded some diagrams that Don had posted a while back. The only reason I ask #1 is there is this island I like to go to fish and swim and it takes about 10 minutes to get there. I would still like to use the boat just as a taxi back n forth to the island. ( just this weekend but I don't want to tear my boat up doing so) Any help would be appreciated. It just started leaking the last time I had out-Friday.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Leaking water

What year 3.0 140

Can you pinpoint where the water appears to be coming in using this drawing.

Inner%20Transom%20Shield.png

Robby662

Cadet

Inner%20Transom%20Shield.png
[/QUOTE]

1985 serial # A314406

If my memory serves me correct, it looked like the "B" area. But it looked as though it was flat line stream instead of a drip around a hole. I printed out the diagram and held it up to the spot where it was leaking. Its definitely not as high as "A" or as low as "D".

Don S

You are really going to have to get in there with mirrors, flashlights and what ever else it takes to see where it's leaking. It could be as little as the grommet for the wires leaking, or the steering shaft seal, which is MAJOR work to repair.
Here is a link to the service manual. scroll down to the index and look at sections 4A and 4B.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

Robby662

Cadet

Thanks for the info.

I guess I have no choice but cancel my trip to the island tomorrow and see where this thing is leaking. I will go to the boat dock and submerge it in there and get a more precise description of where it is leaking. That wire grommet sounds hopeful but IF it is serious, I'm sure its due. I had to do a lot of interior work on this boat too and was planning on replacing all the seals next off season because I have already replaced the outdrive : repaired crack block, AHHHH. Somebody on here said free boats were the most expensive. Yes sir. I guess it has to be something, the engine runs like a sewing machine and shifts real smooth... now it leaks..HAHA

Don S

Somebody on here said free boats were the most expensive.

That would be me saying that from time to time.

Don't get your hopes up about the wire grommet leaking, it's common for the steering seal to leak.

Bondo

Staff member

Are there any Cracks or Rips in the drive shaft Bellows,..??.....