Stripped spark plug threads in block, How to fix

Chris Cole

Seaman Apprentice
I stripped my spark plug threads on one cylinder of my block, I guess by taking the spark plug out when block was warm/hot:( . Is there an easy fix to resolve this, or Am I looking at having to break the whole engine down?
Any info is helpful, thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stripped spark plug threads in block, How to fix

Most good shops are equipped to fix that, Chris.

The most common fix is a device called a Helicoil, a steel insert. Your SP hole is drilled out and rethreaded and the Helicoil is screwed in. Your plug now screws into the helicoil.

A better device is called a Time-sert, an alloy sleeve threaded to screw into the enlarged, threaded hole and expanded to lock it in there.

The Time-sert is better because the alloy sleeve conducts heat from the spark plug at a rate closer to the original alloy block, allowing the spark plug to operate normally, rather than hotter than stock.

The drilling and threading can be done without dismantling the engine, but it requires expert use of special techniques to keep shavings out of the cylinder.

Chris Cole

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Stripped spark plug threads in block, How to fix

Thanks for the reply JB,

It doesn't sound like something I should attempt myself. How much do you think something like that would cost? How long would it take an outboard mechanic?