Tohatsu 40hp

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can anyone tell me if the 40hp Tohatsu is any good? Are the a problem motor and are they easy to work on?
Thanks

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 40hp

Which 40hp model? They had a 2 and 3 cyl 2 stroke, and maybe a 4stroke now. I have a 40C (2cyl, 2 stroke) since the 80's. Very reliable and easy to work on.

Lundman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tohatsu/Nissan has the 40 to 115 HP TLDI engines that I hear are very reliable. That is a DFI two stroke,by the way. If my Lund/Mercury dealer
would carry Tohatsu,I would most likely consider a Tohatsu motor over a
Mercury. (I also hear that Tohatsu makes the powerhead for the 2.5 to 30 HP
Mercury outboards now. So if I get the 15 HP Mercury outboard on the Lund A-14 Utility-V boat I want to go back to,in a sense,I would be buying a Tohatsu motor. I know that I may be slightly off topic on this reply,but the
motor I am going for is a four stroke. The one you are after is a two stroke
TLDI motor.)

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i have a 40 hp on my pontoon boat . haven`t had it but 6 monts never a probablem with it . i was told they wer a verry good motor . they never had had a recall on their motors .

pontoon4.jpg

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

As noted there are multiple configurations of 40hp 2 strokes that have been out there in 2 and 3 cylinder models and carb and (more recently) TLDI. All have been pretty decent. The later model 3 cylinder carb models were very strong performers and almost identical in performance to the 50. If you can give us a model number form the tag, we can give you a little more information on the unit.

repoman

Recruit

I have a Tohatsu 40hp M40C. I haven't ran the motor/boat in a little over 2 years. I took it out last night for the first time and it started on the 3rd crank (due to me forgetting to pump the primer). I am having a problem with it planing out at higher speeds, and it doesn't seem to want to push my little 15ft bass boat through the water. Anything i can do to this motor to help tweak it a little and make it faster/more powerful?

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer

I have one, it is the 40c. Two stroke, two cylinder. It is reliable and easy to work on. You can have the carb off for cleaning in about 30 seconds, try that with an evinrude. Mine has low compression though, because of overheating and an uneducated previous owner, so I no longer use it. It is for sale by the way to all of you tohatsu fans.