Shifting Problems I think... first timer

USAFitz

Seaman Apprentice
All,

first of all i just wanted to say that this is a great forum. I very much enjoy reading posts every day and I've by far learned more from here than any other resourse! Thanks to all.

my problem: I just got my boat with a 1971 65hp Merc and I didn't know how the prior owner had treated it. So I wanted to find out. Through all of the posts here, I decided while I was at it to replace all of the oil seals and the impeller, which was not too difficult with the help of the search function on the forum :) Anyway, when I put the LU back on and cranked up the motor, I discovered the same problem that many people on here have. It was stuck in gear (not sure if it was forward or reverse, but when the engine's off, the prop will only rotate clockwise). So i used the search function again and saw that many people take off the LU again and turn the shift shaft counter clockwise till it goes into neutral. Only problem is when I did that, it rotated about 360 and came to a stop. I was hesitant to force it any further.

question: should I rotate my shift shaft CCW into neutral with excessive force or do I have greater problems? If it's stuck in reverse, do I rotate it CW until the detent (kinda same question)?

Thanks for all your help!

by the way, please ease my worries about the cam every one talks about below the shift shaft... I lifed the shift shaft about two millimeters or so when I was replacing the seal on it. every one talks about the cam possibly coming out of place (having to rebuild the gears an all that because of it). if it went into gear when I replaced the LU, does that mean the cam is good to go? I'm not too savvy on that part of the engine. Thanks again.

USAFitz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Shifting Problems I think... first timer

well with the help of this awesome forum, I got up the courage to go ahead and twist a little more on that shift shaft... and surprise surprise, as all the other posts said it would, it shifted into neutral and I was able to put the LU back on with no problems... except for that pesky coper tube which I finally got on.

If anyone is looking for a quick solution to getting that shift shaft seal off, I've got one. instead of welding a tool (because I don't have a welder) like many on this forum have done, I just used two flat head screw drivers and pried in opposite directions. It was a tight bugger, but it gave way. Just a thought.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when trying to shift it help to turn the prop.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

A 2 millimetre lift (80 thou for those on the left side of the pond) is not going to pull the shaft out of the cam. You probably have to just keep turning it until it detents into neutral. Unless you are extremely strong or are using a 1 metre (3 foot) cheeter bar, you're not going to break anything. All the bits of steel in that end are bigger than you are :D .

Chris.............

USAFitz

Seaman Apprentice

That's good to know about the shift shaft... thanks for easing my worries. I took the LU off again tonight to replace another O-ring and the same thing happened, but it didn't take me as long as yesterday because of your advice. Thanks again.