First run on the lake

TAC_Double

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yesterday I got a chance to take the boat to the lake. Had I few issues with the engine. It's an 1975 40hp 40555C.

1. At Idle the engine shakes side to side, more than I think it should be.

2. After it was good and warmed up, when I would drop the control to idle, it usally would stall. Do I need to adjust the low speed setting? I have adjusted the idle stop and that does not help. I rebuilt the carb a couple of weeks ago, and had it idling good in the tank.

3. There is no friction on the control box, ran the adjust in both directions and can't get the throttle to hold position. Can this be fixed?

All in all it was a good day, just had a few issues.

Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: First run on the lake

You didn't mentionwhether it develops full power. If so, yes try adjusting the slow speed needle for best running. But it is supposed to shake from side to side. Broken rubber motor mount (s) will make it much worse.

Yes, there is a fricton thing of some sort in the control. Depends on what control you have. Take it apart and look.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check spark running on one will cause it to shake.

TAC_Double

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did notice that with the control at WOT it seemed to run well, somtimes when the throtle would slip down a bit it sounded like the rpms went up.