Part # for 5.7L Vortec Cast Iron 4 bbl Intake Manifold from GM Parts?

NormRinker

Seaman
Hey all,

What's the part number to a Vortec 5.7L cast iron 4 barrel intake manifold from GM Parts department? Or from GM Performance division?

Thanks, Norm

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Part # for 5.7L Vortec Cast Iron 4 bbl Intake Manifold from GM Parts?

GM doesn't make a cast iron intake 4brl intake for vortec heads, that I know about. There is a low-profile cast-iron for q-jet (not gm) that you will find. Here is what Gilbert Chevy says about it:

GILBERT CHEVROLET no longer carries this part.
The manufacturer was unable to maintain our quality standards.
Do not call us about this intake.

We have no intension of ever ordering or selling this intake again due to manufacturing flaws which cause ourselves and our customers grief. Were all of these intakes flawed to the point of causing problems? No, but a large percentage were and the quality never improved during the time we were selling these.

If you are insistent on risking your time and money on this low quality produced intake, then call 806-983-3774.

GILBERT CHEVROLET is searching for a suitable replacement that both meets our quality standards and falls within the same price range of under $200.00, but so far, there doesn't appear to be any.

SBC Cast Iron Vortec, Dual Plane Intake Manifold. Designed to work with the L31 Vortec heads, Part Number: 12558060. This intake has an out of the box weight of 43 lbs. It is recommended for Chevy enthusiasts and for racers competing in classes which require a cast iron intake manifold. It is also suited to marine applications because cast iron is less susceptible to corrosion damage than aluminum. This is a non-GM part that GILBERT CHEVROLET had specially obtained for these applications but no longer sells due to quality problems.

civortecintake1.jpg

NormRinker

Seaman

The reason for cast iron intake manifold is the boat is raw water cooled in salt water every time out. I see that there are some aluminum intake manifolds with bronze-lined water passages which should work ok if I protect the exterior finish with zinc's and/or good paint. It would be a lighter set-up that way too.

Is what I've found in this intake manifold the same intake manifold as you're talking about here? There was not a picture shown, so I couldn't see and compare for myself.

http://www.sdparts.com/product/14097499/VortecCastIron4bblIntakeStockAppearing.aspx

SDparts.com's Quote:

Vortec, Cast Iron 4bbl Intake, Stock Appearing

Vortec, Cast Iron 4bbl Intake, Stock Appearing
Part #14097499Retail Price: $169.99

Quantity:

Our Cast Iron Vortec intake is perfect for class racing where rules require a factory style intake with factory heads. This allows you to use the supieror Vortec heads in class racing and retain a factory intake. No more drilling and taping of the heads or port modifications on the intake.

A factory appearing casting number is even cast into the intake for those hard to please inspectors.

Note: This is not a factory GM intake. GM does not offer a cast iron intake for the Vortec heads. This is a product offered by SDPC for the class racers that require factory style cast iron intake manifold. Use at your own risk, please check your local rules and restrictions.

John_S

Rear Admiral

It could be. Hard to tell. How about going to freshwater cooling system? You're new motor will luv you for it!

NormRinker

Seaman

It could be. Hard to tell. How about going to freshwater cooling system? You're new motor will luv you for it!

I see that one can be had for about $800. I wouldn't go with it if I rebuilt my original motor, but if I bought a new one.. I just might.. Depending on the checkbook as you stated in another thread, haha.

Thanks!