Can angle grinder be adapted to be used as a polisher

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This may be a silly question, but can a variable speed angle grinder be adapted to be used as a polisher, similar to a the Porter Cable 7428? Angle grinders and polishers look very similar in appearance if I remove the shield from the grinder. I can imagine that one problem might be in attaching the polishing pads to the grinder if the the method of attachment is different between a grinder and a polisher. I don't have a polisher to look at in order to check this.​

The reason I am asking is that I already have an angle grinder. I also have an orbital polisher, but have read that one should use a polisher with glazes and polishing compounds. I would like to try a regular (non-orbital) polisher to see how that works in shining up the gelcoat on my boat.​

Thanks for any opinions.​

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can angle grinder be adapted to be used as a polisher

They spin too fast and they wouldn't have the torque to drive any kind of good polishing pad. 'sides, I don't think any pad components have compatable fittings.

hoytultratec

Cadet

to many rpm s, go buy a 40 dollar buffer you will be better off.

hoyt

studlymandingo

Commander

You mentioned the grinder you have is variable speed. I also have a variable speed grinder that I bought for the express purpose of polishing concrete, it will go slower than any polisher out there if I so choose.

I bought a 3M adapter and also use it with a buffing wheel and have quite sucessfully buffed both my boat and a car with it. It is actually perfect for the job as I can adjust the speed to suit my needs.​

Coors

Captain

Over 1500 rpm, you and the boat get hurt.(don't ask me why I know).

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is a Vari-Speed tool then it will have enough torque. I have found that 2400-2700 rpms works good with rubbing compounds, and 3400-3600 rpms for fine polishing compounds seem to work best.