re-screening windows

salty87

Commander
i recently painted the exterior of my house. now the old screens on the windows look like junk. i got a quote from a local store to re-screen them and replace them. i only have 10- 48"x54" screens and they wanted $500 just to replace the screens, $650 if i want new frames. i think i'd rather just buy new windows since they come with new screens!

it doesn't look very hard to replace the screens, anyone ever done it? got any tips?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: re-screening windows

It was many years ago, Salty, but I rescreened my 3/2 home in about 20 hours for about $50. That was in about 1974. Inflation would probably bring the cost of the tools and copper screening to a few hundred today.

Of course, if you used glass or other synthetic screening and didn't have to redo several in the learning process like I did I would bet that it could be done for little over a C-note.

Coors

Captain

You can buy the tool to do it yourself, but Ace Hardware, etc will do it. It saves a bunch of throbbing veins in your forehead.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

$500? Is that for copper? It's easy to do with fiberglass screen but I have never done copper. You need a spline tool (looks like a double ended pizza cutter), spline and screen and you're in business...