Trailering Switch

goblenick

Cadet
I've got a question relating one of my other posts (Trim Problems....please help). How does the trailering button work? Does it bypass the limit switch on the outdrive? I think knowing this may help me troubleshoot my original problem.

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailering Switch

It does bypass the limit switch, I believe at the trim pump. I know many people who manually bypass the limit switch in order to provide more trim ability at the trim switch itself, but you of course have to be careful if you do that. I'm sure someone else knows how the bypass works.

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes, as rad said. trim is only 15-20 degrees. what is the problem you have again?

goblenick

Cadet

OK I got it fixed. Thanks for the input guys that made it a lot less painful. For anyone else reading this forum here is the way the system works: A hot wire goes straight off the battery to the solenoids and runs up one of the three prongs on the cannon plug. This runs to the UP/DOWN switch. Power from the down switch goes straight back to the solenoid to engage the trim motor. On the UP side of the switch power runs from the switch back to the limit switch (port side on the outdrive) and then routes back to the Trailer switch (if the limit switch is functioning properly) and back out to the UP solenoid. When the Trailer switch is pressed, it bypasses the limit switch and goes straight back to the solenoid turning the motor on.
To simplify, if the Trailer switch works but the UP switch doesn't the problem is in your limit switch or the wires running out to it.