Am I screwed now? Y-Pipe Install problems

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer
Ohhh boy here we go, I knew things were going to smooth for my own good.
I have a 1990 Merc 5.7 with Alpha I. I am in the process of converting the thur hull to Thur prop exhaust. I got the motor out today <--that was easy and started in on pulling the blank off plate off the inside of the transom. Well what do u think happened. Yep on of the bolts was seized in there and I snapped the head off... No big deal right... WRONG tried to easy out it and use a bolt extractor.. No luck the easy out actually broke off in the freaking thing. SOooooooooo... what do I do now? All help is greatly appreciated. I thought about sinking the boat.... do I replace the whole gimbal assembly?? This is really frustrating...

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Am I screwed now? Y-Pipe Install problems

do I replace the whole gimbal assembly??

Only if you make things worse.

If I was given this job, I would pull the gimbal housing. Drill a hole for an ez-out and get the Oxy/Act torch out. Heat it up the housing around the broken bolt, then back it out.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

THanks don. ALready put the easy out in and heated it while in the boat. The easy out snapped in the bolt.

Bonus

Seaman Apprentice

If you can tap the bolt around with a punch or chisel sometimes that works. use penetrating oil for a day or so. heat the area around bolt and see if you can get a punch or chisel to tap it "around". alternately you could try and get the extractor out this way; then drill completly out.

Mostly go really slow and be patient.
Bob in CO

llerrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure of the situation but if you have the part (transom plate gimble ring)off of the hull with the broken bolt and extractor broke inside a machine shop with an EDM machine can burn out the extractor tool and the bolt.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

There is also a chemical tap remover that will dissolve carbon steel in non ferrous base metals. I did a quick Google on it but came up empty. I'll keep looking and if I come up with the info I'll post it.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the great responses

So, It looks like I am in for the long haul again. I guess I have to try to pull the damn thing off the back of the boat. Whats the easiest way to get this thing off? Just loosen all the bolts on the inside?

Tallman