Remove masking tape residue

Jimdsi

Cadet
Last year when I painted the bottom, it rained before I could remove the masking tape at the waterline. As anyone who has had this happen knows, when you do remove the tape, much of the glue stays behind on the hull and looks really bad. I remember reading somewhere that there is a common chemical that disolves the glue and lets you get all the residue off. Does anyone know what it is ? I have tried paint thinner and gas so far, neither worked too well.

Jim Foros

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Remove masking tape residue

Acetone will remove it in a heartbeat but may not react well with the hull. Have used it on glass and aluminum but not on a f/G hull and it works great.

Bondo

Staff member

WD-40,+ a Rag will do it........

Jimdsi

Cadet

I tried the WD-40 but it didn't seem to soften it at all. The Goo-Gone did the trick but it had to sit for a while and still took lot's of elbow grease. Maybe because it was last years tape residue and it had a year to harden and set up. Thanks for all replys.

Jim

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I tried the WD-40 but it didn't seem to soften it at all. The Goo-Gone did the trick but it had to sit for a while and still took lot's of elbow grease. Maybe because it was last years tape residue and it had a year to harden and set up. Thanks for all replys.

Jim

Kerosene will do it, even better than Waste your Dime 40. It won't hurt the paint either. Also great for cleaning the bugs out of your teeth.:p :D

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Ive used the automotive tar and sap remover for the tape goo. Its ok for glass and it works verry well. I forget the name of the stuff but you can pick it up at wally world. The black and green bottle is the one that is safe for fiberglass.

Coors

Captain

Kerosene will do it, even better than Waste your Dime 40. It won't hurt the paint either. Also great for cleaning the bugs out of your teeth.:p :D

Keeps the bugs off you and your dog,too.

Aquaman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover. Part # 08984. Area will need to be re waxed after use.