need new power tilt motor

Truebrit1974

Recruit
i need a new power tilt motor just the motor as the hydraulics are ok but am unsure what one to get there are no serial numbers on the power tilt motor as this is why i am unsure i got a chrysler charger 1982 85hp outboard if this helps any recommendations ....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: need new power tilt motor

If you have the two wire motor, you can get the motor and reservoir on e bay for around 250. Iboats probably sell them also, and a fellow called RRitt right here on this forum also probably has them. The three wire motor is a little more difficult to replace but you can replace it with a two wire motor if you are willing to do a little rewiring. ----not really a difficult job.

The two wire motor is better because it is a little larger and probably a little more powerful. It also is usually wired with a circuit breaker and relays, and uses only signal power at the trim switch, whereas the three wire motor used no circuit breaker or relays and the switch carries full motor power.

Truebrit1974

Recruit

Thanks for your response. The boat is actually at a friends getting looked at. I'm not sure if it is a two or three wire motor but I will find out tomorrow. Thanks again.

RRitt

Captain

you must take very good care of your boat. 25 years is a long time.

they started using 2w in '87-'88 so yours is probably 3w. Somebody could have added trim during the 90's otherwise I would say 3w for sure.

why don't you just get the motor rebuilt? i don't do just motors but a local auto electric shop that does starters should be able to fix it up for around $100.

RRitt

Captain

oh, sorry - forgot to say how to tell 3w from 2w. The 3w has different mounting bracket and cable entry from 2w. referring to pictures - the 2w has solid sides on plastic mounting bracket whereas 3w is open sides on aluminum. The 2w has cable entrance molded into top cover whereas 3w has aluminum fitting directly into side of collar (field frame). 3w is usually white but sometimes blue during late 80's. 2w is always black or blue.

2wire => http://home.swfla.rr.com/netsvc/images/Pump_2ws_300.jpg
3wire => http://home.swfla.rr.com/netsvc/images/3w_pump_s.jpg

Truebrit1974

Recruit

hey thanks for reply it is a three wire motor and funnily enough i managed to find a guy who is going to rebuild the motor for 120 bucks. Excellent knowledge my hat off to you thank you again..:)