Is this going too far in public schools?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Well, being right after Cinco de Mayo, we of course had to have this big celebration for cinco de mayo. Whole bunch of posters around school about happy cinco de mayo. At lunch we had only mexican in all four lines (well, what the foodservice calls mexican - 3 different choices - ground beef with corn chips in the shape of taco shells, or ground beef with corn chips in the shape of taco salad, or corn chips shaped like nachos, again with ground beef. Now I am talking about the powered beef that never has enough water added Sorry - rant) Back to what I was saying. We had mexican music playing over the intercom all throughout lunch. Then after lunch, we had this mexican folklore and dance assembly. The only good thing was the mexican band (can't remember real name, started with "M" Real band that knew what they were doin'. Definitely authentic.) The reason I say this was good, was in between ethnic songs, they also played "Sweet Home Alabama" and "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" and "Rockytop" See avatar, thats my kind a music. Okay, I digress, the question is, are we going to far? I mean we don't have anything for Christmas, and for thanksgiving all we have is Turkey for lunch - served in only 1 line. Today it was all four. In a society where we can't say "Merry Christmas" this seems to overboard. What say you?

ob

Admiral
Re: Is this going too far in public schools?

I guess it comes with the territory.One of which I happen to also live in.Was anyone displaying the Mexican flag? Just curious.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Sounds overboard to me

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Visit California...then you will see you don't have it so bad.

I do have to say...at least we have real mexican food...and we don't have to listen to Rockytop.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Rocky Top should be required at every lunch period. Period.

Attachments

• powerT.jpg
    powerT.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have no idea why cinco de mayo is a holiday or what it signifies. So I don't celebrate it. I think they had some Mexican food in the cafeteria at work. Other than the lunch food, May 5th was like any other day.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Cinco de Mayo is a bigger thing in the US than it is in Mexico.

It celebrates the Mexicans defeating the French in a battle where the Mexicans were outnumbered.

Now really...beating the French in a battle...how hard can that really be?

Oh...and Rockytop sucks.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Although I don't particularly like Tennessee (boooooooo), I still like the song "Rockytop." They wasn't even playing that at lunch - we had that from a live band at the assembly.:D:D
But, aside from that, I thought it was overboard. I mean we have nothing for veterans day or memorial day, or any of that, but by golly we got Cinco De Mayo. What really irks me, is we (the gifted classes) were up in Washington over the weekend of Veterans day. We coulda seen the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown, but no, we had to see the AMERICAN INDIAN exhibit at the Smithsonian. Also, after spending TWO HOURS in the indian exhibit, we get 30 minutes to see the air and space exhibit. We miss the Tomb of the unknown guard change to see the American Indian? Where are public schools heading? Then we had to see this totally LIBERAL play. Our parents aren't exactly happy with gov. schools at this moment. Now immigrants our influencing the country more than customs that have been here with all the LEGAL immigrants for many, many years.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Yes its way overboard. That being said as a Texan I celebrate Cinco de Mayo. If it wasn't for Santa Anna being a rebal and going against the Spanish govt (which controlled Mexico which Texas part of) and defeating them we'd all be speaking espanol in Texas today. The Republic of Texas didn't have enough army to beat the entire Spanish army but somehow Santa Anna did. Somehow or another Texas overcame SA at San Jacinto and we won out freedom and became our own country.

ob

Admiral

I'll take that as a 'no.':cool:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yes its way overboard. That being said as a Texan I celebrate Cinco de Mayo. If it wasn't for Santa Anna being a rebal and going against the Spanish govt (which controlled Mexico which Texas part of) and defeating them we'd all be speaking espanol in Texas today. The Republic of Texas didn't have enough army to beat the entire Spanish army but somehow Santa Anna did. Somehow or another Texas overcame SA at San Jacinto and we won out freedom and became our own country.

Kenneth,

Not sure where you were taught but the Mexicans defeated the French...not the Spanish on Cinco de Mayo. It was also Ignacio Zaragoza Segu?n, not Santa Anna that defeated the French at the Battle of Puebla.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Look, you don't get it.

NO CHRISTMAS. Get it???

NO EASTER. Get it???

NO THANKSGIVING. Nothing but the celebration of a bunch of imperialist, nazi, white, hate mongers.

THE 4TH OR JULY. Well if we have to?

VETERANS DAY. Whats that?

GAY PRIDE DAY. NO MAKE THAT "WEEK". You betcha, you homophobic hate mongers.

EARTH DAY. Sorry you capitalistic pigs can't attend.

TRANSVESTITE APPRECIATION DAY. You biggots wouldn't understand.

CONDOM DAY? Only if they are government supplied free ones. Freedom of expression baby.

CINCO DE MAYO. Biggest day of the year. Only a bunch of racists would be against this. Why don't we get this day off and get paid?

MEMORIAL DAY. I get that day off of work, right? But paid of course.

LABOR DAY. Thats when I don't have to labor and get paid......

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

CINCO DE MAYO. Biggest day of the year. Only a bunch of racists would be against this. Why don't we get this day off and get paid?
I am all for getting the day off.:D I don't have a problem with people celebrating it, many of the Mexican restaurants around here had big celebrations on Saturday, but for petes sake, I shouldn't have to attend if I don't want to, especially when we get nothing on the holidays I am proud of. (veterans day, memorial day, 4th of July Christmas, Easter, etc.)
Now, I am not racist, and am gonna use a different example here. Whenever black history month was (wasn't it April?) we never had any holiday etc. Black history month was started in AMERICA and Cinco de Mayo is a MEXICAN holiday. Hello? It would be one thing if they had equal places in the schools, but come on. I would estimate less than 25% of the student body is Hispanic. (I may be able to find these numbers somewhere) Yet, it is the heaviest celebrated day of the whole daggum school year.
This just seems outrageous. We cannot show that we have religious principles in school, we cannot celebrate our own daggum holidays, and yet we are required to attend something from a totally different culture, who even my Social Studies teacher, who is a friggin Liberal, says is not exactly right. This may be the end of my rant, but beware!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Divide and conquer! The hallmark of liberalism. Celebrate the ones that are least likely to bring you up, then demean all those that brought you to where we are.

It's just an issue of connecting the dots. Until that occurs, we are headed for a national mohammed day.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

It's all about re-writing history, demonizing those who endevoured, and sucking up to those who don't even have standing in many cases. My post was of course ubsurd, just not too far off.

A day long, perhaps week long celebration of someone elses victory over the French, (big accomplishment, who hasn't), yet, not so much as a moment of silence for 9/11. Don't worry, in a couple of generations we will have that rewritten just like Pearl Harbor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just like Valentines day is promoted by greeting card companies and flower sellers, Cinco de Mayo is promoted by mexican restaurants and beer companies...

...it is strictly to make money...or in this case...dinero!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Just like Valentines day is promoted by greeting card companies and flower sellers, Cinco de Mayo is promoted by mexican restaurants and beer companies...
...it is strictly to make money...or in this case...dinero!
Do they celebrate Halloween?

I'll drink to that......:D

1. The only ones in school on the Fourth of July are the dummies who have to go to summer school.....;) :p
2 & what about Halloween?
I wanna get all whiny about that!
It doesn't get enough exposure.....​

Cinco de Mayo is like St. Patrick's day, IMHO.....
Just a reason for a party, nothing more.....:rolleyes:

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I don't remember us celebrating or even recognizing St. Patricks day when I was in "Public" school. Just didn't fit into the liberals definition of protected status I guess. That is what this thread is about isn't it, public schools wasting more educational time to celebrate a holiday that doesn't even involve this country? Ok back to whatever topic involves cards and beer.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Divide and conquer! The hallmark of liberalism. Celebrate the ones that are least likely to bring you up, then demean all those that brought you to where we are.

It's just an issue of connecting the dots. Until that occurs, we are headed for a national mohammed day.

Boomyal, the great uniter! :):):) I don't think anybody has united people quite like you have Boom.

rogerwa

Commander

A more interesting comparison would be Mardi Gras.. Ya tink that would happen? I don't think so. And I'm not referring to the beads.