silverline restoration

king_mr_k

Cadet
I have a 1970 silverline tri hull 15.5 ft.
I have stripped it down to the framing, and need to replace everything.
Any suggestions would in re-building this would be great.
Thanks
Kenny

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: silverline restoration

A couple of photos would help.....

Read through this forum about stringers....... transom etc...

Look for the user JasonJ and look at the link is his signature about the Project Shanky Beast it is all about a Silverline transformation. This is great reading and will help you.

Where are you in NH?

king_mr_k

Cadet

Lyme, NH
Working on pictures, should have some up before weeks end.
Will the Hull be ok with me walking on it during the repair process?
Also, when I install the new to me outboard, should I use plywood to add more strength to the transom?

Thanks,
Kenny

Bob_VT

Staff member

Have you looked over JasonJ Project yet (Jason I stole your link ;) ) http://70silverline.250free.com/Skankybeast.html

The need for wood on the transom will be determined by the present transom condition.... if it is rotted or in bad shape...... your outboard..... take your time on mounting the outboard untill the hull work is done.

What size outboard do you have for the boat? Yes you can walk on/in the hull while you are working on it just be careful

king_mr_k

Cadet

I have looked at Skanky Beast, which is what I want to do to my Silverline, It is a great looking boat.

Evinrude 40 HP is what I am putting on the boat.
I don'd know the year yet, but it does have electric start.

The glass on the boat is in good shape, to the best of my knowledge, but all of the wood is rotted.

Would a bed liner coating be ok instead of glassing everything that isn't attached to the hull?

Also, if I us KD lumber and seal it, will it hold up, or do I need to use the marine grade?

Bob_VT

Staff member

Stay away from the bed liner stuff in the beginning. Maybe later on when you are certain about what is going where but right now it is too early.

Good quality exterior plywood sealed up works fine. Regardless it is all allot of money.