early 90 evenrude 200 hard starting

TOPTOM

Cadet
once theis engine is running, i can shut it off and then just touch the key and it is running again. but let it sit for a day or 2 and it will not start. seems to lose spark and just cranks. no pop, not nothing. anyone seen this before. i am pulling my hair out.:(
toptom
last sunday after trying to start it for an hour finaly got it to run after flooding it. dont ask me how. all of a sudden it started to pop then started. was running fine, idle fine, take rpm fine. turned it off 3 or 4 times and started up with just a touch of the key. so i fugured that was it i am ready to go. put the boat away all warm an happy. then came saterday when i was going to put it in the water. figured i would warm it up so i was not fighting it at the dock and when i tried to start it, it just cranked, no pop, no nothing so the first thing i did is ck for spark and there was none. now what
toptom
Edit/Delete Message

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: early 90 evenrude 200 hard starting

check the obvious, spark, compression, carboration, fuel flow.

TOPTOM

Cadet

last sunday after trying to start it for an hour finaly got it to run after flooding it. dont ask me how. all of a sudden it started to pop then started. was running fine, idle fine, take rpm fine. turned it off 3 or 4 times and started up with just a touch of the key. so i fugured that was it i am ready to go. put the boat away all warm an happy. then came saterday when i was going to put it in the water. figured i would warm it up so i was not fighting it at the dock and when i tried to start it, it just cranked, no pop, no nothing so the first thing i did is ck for spark and there was none. now what
toptom

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

no spark on any, do you have a kill lanyard, check it. check all wireing, for bad insulation, shorting out.

TOPTOM

Cadet

You Wont Believe This One,,, We Unpluged Boat From Motor To Make Motor Its Own Power Plant. Ignition System Has Three Major Components. Magnieto Type System Under Flywheel, Electronic Box For Coils And The Coiles Themselfs.
Unplug Boat, Still No Spark, Lucky We Have The Twin To This Motor For Parts, So We Replaced The Electronic Box, Still No Spark. So Now We Are Really Scratching Our Heads. So We Start Looking Around The Flywheel Area, Which We Know Do Not Go Bad Often. As We Were Looking At The Flywheel While Spinning It By Hand We Noticed A Gap In The Magnets. It Turns Out One Of The Dam Magnets On The Flywheel Is Missing And There Is About A 2 Inch Gap!!!
My Friend Thinks That With A Fresh Battery And Spinning It Fast Enough That It Could Get The Voltage It Needed To Start Like It Did. But Now That The Battery Is Down A Little Bit From All The Cranking That The Triger Is Now Not Getting The Counts It Needs To Power Up The Box That Powers The Coils And Therefore No Spark. Do Anyone Agree???? Makes Sence To Me. So We Are Going To Change Out The Flywheel, Stater And Trigers And See What Happins. What Do You Think?
Tom

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It's very common for those magnets to come loose. Just reglue them in place. No big deal. If you do decide to replace the flywheel, make sure it's from the same ignition style as yours. There's one style from 1986 & 87 and another from 1988 & newer. The center hub magnet break points are different.