Help with pouring 2 part foam

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'll be pouring the 2 part foam this weekend, from what I hear it sticks to everything, since I can't mix and pour the whole gallon my question is in what type of container can I mix it without sticking to it? I'll be mixing a few ounces at a time.

Thanks

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help with pouring 2 part foam

We used 5 gallon buckets as we have lots of these on hand, and we can spare a few. If you really are going for just a few oz. you can probably use milk jugs with the top cut off.

crshresq911

Cadet

I used plastic coffee containers. Worked really well, but went through a few. If you know exactly how much foam you're gonna need, you can mix, pour, then mix in same container but you have to be fast.

I personally was too fascinated with the stuff and had to sit there and ooooh & aaaaah while I watched it foam up.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I personally was too fascinated with the stuff and had to sit there and ooooh & aaaaah while I watched it foam up.
Us too. We had old screw holes in the aluminum stringers of our Lund. The stuff would ooze out those holes, and extend a couple inches into the air before falling over. Interesting stuff.
One thing I cannot stress enough is to mix small amounts. You can mix more easily, and it can get out of hand fast. No way to stop its growing. Will break anything you put in its path.

brodie6

Seaman Apprentice

Did some foaming today. I used plastic buckets that I bought from US Composites. The amounts are clearly marked on the side for accurate measuring. Be prepared to chuck them though.
Use gloves and watch out what you get this stuff on, it's murder to get off.
Also try to do it on the hottest day that you can as the expansion is much better the hotter it is out. Some people use a hair dryer to heat up the area to foam. Good luck.

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never tried it myself but would it be possible to mix it in an appropriate size zip lock or similar baggie? Discard after use?

brodie6

Seaman Apprentice

Never tried it myself but would it be possible to mix it in an appropriate size zip lock or similar baggie? Discard after use?

I guess you could but you'd be better of with a plastic throw away container. Too easy to spill the contents with a bag. If you did it would be a disaster. The important thing is the measurement of the two chemicals and the heat.

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep, I did a little bit of it, it was fascinating watching it, I user the 2 liter bottles bottoms, I'd mix one cup at at time. It's working out fairly good, the heat must be there, I poured a cup on a 84 degree day and came out real good, I tried one on a 72 degree and seems like I only got half. Hopefully this week will be hot.....

brodie6

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, I did a little bit of it, it was fascinating watching it, I user the 2 liter bottles bottoms, I'd mix one cup at at time. It's working out fairly good, the heat must be there, I poured a cup on a 84 degree day and came out real good, I tried one on a 72 degree and seems like I only got half. Hopefully this week will be hot.....

If it's chilly use a halogen spot on the area or borrow a blow dryer from the swmbo, (She Who Must Be Obeyed).