1985 vro 50

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a 85 vro 50 after being told it was a great motor, and that it might need a little carb work. Turns out, the carbs are fine, but the lower cyl. is scored, and the piston is burnt around the edges. 152 psi top, 51psi lower.I like this motor and would love to repair, but how much is too much? I dont want to put more in this motor than its worth. Also, every outboard shop in my area says they have no way of getting it bored because the only shop in the state that was capable has closed. where can I send this block(if it is worth fixing) and is there any hope of honing smooth with cyl hone, If cyl can be kept perfectly round?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 vro 50

Check with some local machine shops yourself. I do not know this motor too well but I see no reason that a regular machine shop could not do it as long as they have boring equipment.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

see if you have a NAPA machine shop center near you. there also some good places online that the short block can be shipped to for a rebuild. how much is it worth. have you priced a new 50. the oil mixing systems of that vintage were none to be problemmatic. suggest done away with it, and going with regular fuel pump. and premixing gas & oil 50/1

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the idea, I called a local machine shop and they said $40 a cyl. A lot better than the $1000 per cyl the outboard shop said it would cost (if they could get it done) my only question is: does the cyl bore go straight through the block? The machine shop said they will have to access the bore from both ends, will this work? thanks, Shawn