1993 3.0l fuel carb issue

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Well after doing a water de-carb program and letting the boat set for a couple of week's, as usal it wouldnt run. So after a a electronic's diag, i went to the fuel system. Good pressure up to the carb and from there still no start, next pour a little fuel down the carb and viola contact.
So i elimninate the filters and yes they have rust, but there out of the system still no good ilde, actually none. So i start pumping the throttle and what do ya know it works, but wont stay running unless i run it at 4000 rpm and it's very unstable there,or constantly pump the throttle

So i assume i have a accelerator pump issue, or better said a new carb. Unless some one can enlighten this old bail wire mech (plz do) i assume i need a new carb.

Again all filter's are out of the loop, it only runs at 3500 steady, or run if i pump the throttle it will run fairly smooth.

Be nice now, i am a old man ya know, learning how to paint...:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1993 3.0l fuel carb issue

Being able to run at higher rpm and while pumping suggests to me that the accelerator pump is working and the low speed circuit ISN'T.
Plugged up, corroded up, full of rust, who knows.
You can take it apart and clean it, blow out all the passages after soaking in carb cleaner, and it might work.
Hard to give any details, not sure what carb you have.

Bondo

Staff member

i assume i need a new carb.

The Rebuilds Work,........Corrosion really Lowers the Odds of Sucess........

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I see say's the blind man, ill post later as to model......do you think that perhap's the float system is sticking?? It's 16 yrs old and never been touched......... :D that pretty much say's it all.

This will take a day or so, as usal thanks again.

Don i assume yout a shop foreman or director or the head of a dept? i must ask, your diag skill's are uncanny. And i respect no reply.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don i assume yout a shop foreman or director or the head of a dept? i must ask, your diag skill's are uncanny. And i respect no reply

Nope, I just turn wrenches. However, I don't read very well obviously since your post title tells the story.
It's a Mercarb, and here is the Mercruiser manual for your engine if you want to look at it. Section 5B covers the carb.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/13/13covr2.pdf

If you are comfortable with rebuilding a carb, I would get a NAPA kit and try it before going for a new carb....... They don't give them puppies away.