Motor Stalling/Primer Bulb?

I took the boat out for a spin yesterday. When I proceed to go full throttle, the rubber primer bulb tightens up, gets flat. My vent was also open on my fuel tank. Should I buy a new primer bulb or is there air getting into the fuel line? What do you guys think?

40 hp Yamaha four stroke.

Thank you

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motor Stalling/Primer Bulb?

Either the primer bulb has a stuck check valve or you have an obstruction between the primer bulb and tank (kinked or collapsed fuel line). From the way you said the vent was open, I assume you have a portable tank, so that would rule out the anti-siphon valve or obstruction in the tank vent line. An air leak will not cause the bulb to go flat.

The motor ran totally fine at half speed. This happened at full throttle, do you still think there would be a kink in the fuel line?

mattttt25

Commander

i've been told that many times an aftermarket bulb will actually cause problems, and that their not worth the money. i'd replace the bulb with an oem part and see if that corrects the problem.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class

A vacuum gauge just in front of the engine's fuel filter with a piece of clear vinyl hose(avail. @ hardware store, boat store, etc.) put inline between tank and gauge will tell you all....should see no or VERY few bubbles and vacuum should be about 2 inches or less at idle and always below 5 inches @ WOT....and don't assume if you get the good reading @ idle you will also pass @ WOT....seems like very few people do this simple test and it eliminates the 'may be' part....

spec and red

Cadet

Have 4-stroke Yamaha 115 tank in deck, ran great friday and saturday, but come sunday ran about two miles and motor seem to be running out of fuel have 42 gal. tank. plenty of fuel, bulb just went flat too. As long as I smashed the bulb over and over it ran then died out again. Could it be the bulb or fuel line? Just bought the boat, now cant seem to keep it running.