prop for wakeboarding

slappy545

Recruit
Looking for a four blade SS prop for wakeboarding. I have a 2003 170 Freedom Four Winns with a 2001 90hp Johnson. The model num is J90plsne and the power mass is 67.2. I just checked my WOT full tank of gas with just me in the boat it was 4800 rpm's trimed out. Thats all I could get out of it in light chop. The current prop is a 14X19 three blade that is pretty dinged up, now that i found the bottom. The engine is as low as it can get, it's on the top hole. I will be putting about a 1000lb of weight in the boat when wakeboarding. I think I want my wot higher. My top speed is like 35 mph, but all i really care about is holeshot and pulling alot of weight for wakeboarding. Any help would be greatly apprecited.

tommays

Admiral
Re: prop for wakeboarding

Your currrent prop and setup sound BAD i think you should be way above 4800 RPM

Your just not going to get good results putting 1000# of stuff in a 90 HP boat and trying to wakeboard it is not a realistic goal

I think with the correct setup, prop and trim tabs you could wakeboard quite well if you keep the boat as light as you can

Your trying to do something that would be pushing a factory built inboard boat with a motor in the 300 HP range :D

Tommays

slappy545

Recruit

What Im tring to find out is which prop is correct for the boat. I'm just looking for a four blade SS. I dont know which pitch whould get the wot at least into range. Its going to be a long road saving for a salt setup Mastercraft. It actually ran with a decent wake last year,bilge full and two 125 quart collers full of water. A little slow getting going on a plane LOL.

tommays

Admiral

The correct prop is going to let the motor reach its correct WOT with the boat loaded for its normal use

In your case a lot of stuff to wakeboard

4800 RPM is way to low ? what is the correct RPM ? 5800 ?

You need to work to get it in the correct WOT RPM to allow it to plane quickly when boarding and will probley have to giveup some top speed to get the best low speed result

tommays

slappy545

Recruit

Thanks for your help. I don't want to mess around and buy the wrong one (on the internet). I'm bringing it to an outboard shop this weekend to let them figure it out.