Evinrude 6HP Won't Stay in Reverse

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Evinrude 6hp model# E6REDD late '90's model I believe. It will pop out of reverse unless you hold the shift lever there. Forward and neutral work fine. The lower unit gear oil is clean and at the proper level. I can not see any way to adjust the shifting mechanism. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 6HP Won't Stay in Reverse

It's a 1996, go to this site http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Accessories/Literature/

look at the throttle handle diagram and gear case. if the lower unit has been off the shift may not have been reconnected correctly. the shift shaft rotates, and could be off. not shifting the reverse all the way into gear.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Follow the link tashasdaddy has given to the engine parts diagrams then to a 1996 6hp then model number BE6REDS. Look at the "steering handle" diagram and check the parts of the gear shift mechanism there for wear or damage especially the shift handle to lever link #7and the lever#6. Make sure the lever is not loose on the vertical shift rod.

Then look at the gearcase diagram. Make sure the the shift cam #29 is not damaged or loose on the bottom of the shift rod.

If all that is ok then look at the components that make up the dog clutch and their engagement with the reverse gear.

There is no adjustment that can be made anywhere and it is difficult to see how anything could have been re-assembled in such a way that it will operate but fail to lock into reverse gear.

I suspect you will find the problem is in the gearcase rather than the shift mechanism at the top.

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your help guys. I am going to check these things out now and I'll report back.