Spark Plug Wire for Ford 5.0l

crestapre

Seaman Apprentice
I am have a heck of a time finding a set of spark plug wires that fit an 1994 OMC/VP 5.0l MPI Ford.

I had purchased a set from Sierra P/N 18-8820-01 which the catalog says will fit but, yeah you guess it, they don't.

The problem is that the boots on the plug end of the originals are bent to about 45deg and are about 2" long. The Sierra has small 1" boots at 90 deg.

Any one have a idea or a parts source?

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Spark Plug Wire for Ford 5.0l

check napa auto parts, they have a 600 page marine catalog, that a lot of people don't know about. you will have to check with a store, it's not online.

Otiville

Cadet

I have been having the exact same problem and even had the same Sierra wires that didn't fit.
Did you have any success with NAPA and if so, what part number did you get ?

Thanks

Otiville

Cadet

Since my last post, I've learned that Ford Light truck wires may work.
I'm going to give that a try
I'll post the results as soon as I can.

Coors

Captain

On my OMC 5.7(go ahead and groan) , due to aftermarket exhaust, and wires too short; I bought accel custom, and made my own wires.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This may be kind of an odd thought, but have you thought of checking with a Volvo dealer????? Or a Volvo online source?

Otiville

Cadet

All OEM (Volvo & OMC) sources show the wires as obsolete and discontinued, hence the problem.
7 0f 8 Bosch wires (and probably other brands) for a 1994 Ford F150 fit (although shorter). I had to do a little re-routing also. There is a need for one more long wire which could be gotten by purchasing a second set of wires for the one long one in the set.
Slightly expensive ( a set was $40.00) at Advance Auto Parts.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Have you looked for an aftermarket set for a Merc. model 888?.......:)

Otiville

Cadet

No, I haven't looked for Merc 888.

In any case, my problem was not solved by changing the wires. I'm sure many of you have seen this before, but my engine is acting like the kill switch is being toggled at exactly 3400 rpm.
Engine starts fine, idles fine even climbs up on a plane fine ------ but when we get to the magic 3400 rpm, it starts acting up.
It is a 1994 Cobra SX 5.0L EFI engine. Plugs are fresh, wires are now fresh,
fuel filter/seperator is fresh, gas is fresh, alternator appears to be functioning fine (15-16 volts). I don't have it in an area where I feel confident in the local engine mechanics, so I'm trying the simple things first before I have to trailer it. I haven't been able to find any loose wires, and I haven't changed the coil yet. Any ideas ?

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

NAPA could not find set for a 95 5.0 FL Volvo OMC either.

crestapre

Seaman Apprentice

I have spoken with Sierra and they have admitted that they have a gap in thier product line. They do not make a set of spark plug wires that will fit a 1994 5.0 Ford. They say that they will begin production and we can see something in 6 months or so.

I did find a set of marine wire that do fit. They are Champion brand marine wires. You have to crimp on one end of each wire but they do have the correct elongated ends with a slight bend to fit the block. I found these discontinued at WM.

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hope they include 1995 too. But "6 months or so" sounds like never...any info on making a set?

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Damn guys, I bought a set for my '95 last year without spending more than 5 minutes online. Let me see if I can dig up where I found them.

M

Otiville

Cadet

While looking for other things, I believe I found the wires on boats.net