Some questions/opinions

ajjacobs

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all. Im new here and somewhat new to power boating. I am in the market for a boat and have come across an '88 sundowner 235. I will be looking at the boat this weekend and was hoping for some opinions on this boat. It looks to be in great condition (from pics) and was repowered in '05 with 20 hours on it. One of my concerns is that the transom was also rebuilt with the new motor. Is this an issue? What would be the reason for rebuilding the transom? Again any info/opinions (good or bad) on this boat would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

AJ

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Some questions/opinions

I am going to bet that the sterndrive on that boat is an OMC Cobra. I would stay away from the OMC and stick with either Volvo or Mercruiser. Four Winns used OMC for many years because OMC owned them. When OMC went bankrupt, the boat businesses got sold off and Four Winns started using Volvo.

Since the transom has been repaired, there is probably other problems too.

ajjacobs

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply! The motor and stern drive were replaced in '05 would they still use an OMC stern drive (I can post a pic if that willl help)? Also what other problems may be present as a result of the transom repair? Sorry for all the questions, this is all new to me. Thanks again.

AJ

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The problem is that you have no idea of the quality of the repair. Transoms are repaired becuase they get soaked with water and rot out. If that was rotten, what condition are the stringers in? How about the floor if it is also wood.

If they replaced the drive, they probably replaced it with another OMC. Posting a picture would clear that question up though.

I used to own an OMC Cobra. If OMC was still in business I would have no problem buying a boat with it. When I sold that boat, I did not look at other boats with OMC because of the parts situation. I had a few problems locating certain parts on my boat and didn't want an even worse problem in 10 years.

What were they asking for this boat?

ajjacobs

Seaman Apprentice

Here are the pics. Let me know what you think of the repair. Thanks again.

1548888_14.jpg

1548888_17.jpg

AJ

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That is an OMC Cobra. Kinda hard to see about the repair. Have you seen this boat in person?

Also, that boat has bottom paint. Not sure if you plan on keeping it moored or not but I would always try to buy a boat with a clean bottom if I wasn't going to keep it in the water. Bottom paint will slow you down.

ajjacobs

Seaman Apprentice

I will be seeing the boat in person this weekend. Boat will be in the water for most of the season. I was unaware the bottom paint will effect speed, good to know. When i do go to see the boat what should I look at when checking the transom repair or anything else for that matter?

AJ

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

AJ, check for soft spots in the floor.
Look in the engine compartment and feel things in there to see if they are soft.
This is a sign of very wet wood that will do nothing but give you trouble as far as having to replace.
As bruce has asked, what is the amount they are asking?
Might be a good buy if you have to some work.

ajjacobs

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to see the boat later today so will look for wet/soft wood. They are asking $7k for the boat which seems reasonable (to me) considering the all the work done to it. My budget was a little more so there is some extra for minor work if need be. What do you all think, good price or no? Thanks again.

AJ

ajjacobs

Seaman Apprentice

OK I got to look at the boat yesterday. Cosmeticly its a little beat up. Needs some TLC. THis is no big deal, we can take care of the cosmetic issues. The motor, transom and outdrive all look very good/clean. No wet or soft wood anywhere I looked. We are problably going to leave a deposit and go for some seatrials. SO what does that mean for you, you guessed it: more questions (sorry). Obviously I will want to see the boat cold started and will check for engin heat before we go out (to make sure they did not warm it up before we got there). Will check all guages and instrumentation, etc... Will check for water in the bilge before and after the trials. will check RPM at WOT. Being a 260HP Mercruiser what RPM should I expect at WOT? What else sould I be looking for before and after the trials? Sorry for the long post and as always thanks for the help.

AJ

ajjacobs

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone? No input/advice (good or bad)?

AJ

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you have the engine started on land, turn the sterndrive hard right and left to listen for u-joint noise.

Would laso be a good idea to look at the drive oil to see if it is clean and not water contaminated.