1989 150 Forcewater pump replacement

valencehsift

Seaman
Ok this is my first time so bare with me. I just purchased my first boat. It has a 1989 150 Force. I put it in a tub of water and started it up. I saw no water coming from the pee holes. I then went and put it in the lake. Some water was spiratically coming out but nothing substantial. I purchased the manual, and feel confident about changing the impeller and gaskets and plate, however would love any info. I have read the manual 100 times. Is there anything I shouuld really be carefull about? Also how crucial is it to replace the o rings as it did not come with the kit?
I would appreciate any assistance!!

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 150 Forcewater pump replacement

The main thing to be careful about is if the previous owner did not do periodic maintenance. This will let corrosion form on the pump housing around the bolts, seizing them in tight. If not careful, you may snap them. I picked up a hint here that an impact wrench seems to work better, but instead of using my impact wrench, which I feel I have little control over, I put a regular wrench on the bolt, hold it on with my thumb, and smack it with a hammer handle. That way I can control how much force I apply. Once the bolt has broken loose, I wiggle it back and forth--1/4 turn forward, 1/8 turn back until the danger of twisting it off is past. When you reassemble, use something to coat the entire length of all bolts to prevent corrosion seizing.

Put on the impeller first, and be sure the woodruff key in the shaft does not slip out of position. Then install the pump housing. While you have the housing, ss plate and gasket off, inspect the drive shaft seal to be sure it is in sound condition. The O rings I am thinking of, seal the lower plate. You do not need to remove this to change the pump so if it is not leaking, don't change them.

And remember the hidden bolt inside the exhaust snout.

Curious-- Does it have single exhaust or dual exhaust? Dual exhaust has water pick-up holes on the leg, single has pick-ups on the gear torpedo behind prop.

When remounting lower unit, it helps to have a second set of hands.

valencehsift

Seaman
Re: 1989 150 Forcewater pump replacement

It has a single port exhaust and thanks for the advice. The job is done. I just came back from being out for the first time on my first boat. What a rush! I actually was able to get it back together on my own. It wasn't too bad. Once again thx. I am sure I will have more questions over the next couple weeks.