Mercruiser 350 Magnum - Fuel Pump

flpd1310

Recruit
I have a 1986 Wellcraft Nova Spyder with twin Mercruiser 350 Magnums and Alpha Drives. My problem stem from fuel delivery. The boat would not start a fault noticed was no fuel being delivered to the carberatur. (Currently has mechanical fuel pumps). I spoke with the previous owner her recommends replacing the mechanical pumps with an Electric pump. I can find the pump he recommends. He states the numbers from the one he has is 40704J08A Carter Pump Part Number 152-875). I checked in Carter's web site to no avail. Is the swap from Mechanical - Electrical on a carberated motor recommened and does anyone have information regarding this pump?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 350 Magnum - Fuel Pump

Just get a MARINE mechanical fuel pump to replace your defective on. If you get an electric pump you have to install an oil pressure switch to activate the pump when running (A CG safety reason). You would also have to make a new steel fuel line from the pump to the carb.
Besides. The mechanical pump is less money and more reliable than the electrics anyway.