1980 J10SELCSE stalls

Eddie Lee

Cadet
Acquired this motor recently to use with a sailboat. Replaced water pump and spark plugs. starts easily but does not run long before it stalls out. If I squeez the fuel hose bulb it accelerates slightly and continues to run a bit longer. This was tested in a large garbage can filled with water with motor on sawhorse and gas tank on the ground (about 2 feet vertically). Also, does not idle smoothly. It has both lean adjust knob and idle speed knob.

I would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts.

Thanks,

MJ76

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1980 J10SELCSE stalls

Your fuel pump may be having a hard time lifting the fuel out of the tank. Try it with the tank set up on something so it's closer to level with the motor. If you still have a problem, I would suggest rebuilding the fuel pump. Not a bad idea anyway. The diaphragm's probably just worn out. It's easy enough to do, and the parts are cheap. (Is your tank vent open??)

Eddie Lee

Cadet
Re: 1980 J10SELCSE stalls

The vent was open. I was wondering if the vertical height was too much to overcome for this type fuel pump. I have ordered fuel pump and carb overhaul kits so will follow your advice to take care of these at this time anyway.

Thanks for your help.