fuel guage won't work

Mtribute

Cadet
I recently bought 1986 Procraft bassboat 1750 with johnson 150. I can't get fuel guage to work. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to fix it or troubleshoot to know if it needs to be replaced?

Thanks,
Mtribute

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer
Re: fuel guage won't work

Check the ground but more than likely it is the sending unit on the tank. Somebody on here will know how to test it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Just a thought and it may be completely irrelevant in your case but on my 1985 Doral the fuel gauge only reads when you switch the navigation lights on with the ignition on or off.
Just my 2cents !!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is not an outboard question. Moving to Electrics, etc.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There will be three studs on the back of the gauge, one is 12V, one is to ground and the other is to the sender.

1) With one lead of your meter connected to a known good ground, see if there is 12V to the power terminal.

2) If you have 12V, move the ground wire to the ground terminal at the gauge and measure the voltage between the power terminal you just measured and ground and verify you still have 12v.

3) Remove the wire off the sender terminal and verify that the gauge stays at Empty.

4) Ground the sender terminal and verify the gauge goes to Full.

5) Reattatch the sender wire to the back of the gauge. At the sender on the fuel tank, verify that the connections are tight and corrosion free.

6) Use a ground wire from a known good ground and ground the sender wire at the tank. If the gauge goes to Full, you probably have a bad ground at the tank or a bad sender. If it stays empty, your wire from the tank to the gauge is open.

That's all I can think of right now. If I think of more I can add them later. Gives you something to occupy your time for an hour or so though!

David Jones

Recruit

I'm with Bruce58. If you don't a good connection you have a headache!