94 Johnson 175 Ocean. No Ignition?

pnwguy

Cadet
Unmechanical fisherman looking for advise.

Have owned this engine for 1yr/100hrs. Always starts with a turn of the key. Started in my driveway couple weeks ago on the muffs. Went to start it today, turned the key quarter turn and got full dash display, battery shows 13v, and heard test warning horn from engine/vro? All of this is normal. Turned the key to start engine and nothing! The silence was deafening. No clicks, revs, sounds at all. Immediately thought either the shift lever is in gear or my kill switch is off. Checked both and both are ok. Battery is less than 1yr old, fully charged, cables clean, etc. Any ideas? Does this sound like a bad starter?

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 94 Johnson 175 Ocean. No Ignition?

load test the battery, and i've save this cause i got tired of typing it. it's that time of year.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=194189

if you're are positive your cable and connects are spotless, take a jumper cable from the pos battery post to the big terminal on the starter. if the starter works, time to back track.

Walker

Captain
Re: 94 Johnson 175 Ocean. No Ignition?

There is an inline fuse back on your motor. Look for a small red torpedo looking rubber thing. Pull it apart and check the fuse.