Mariner 85hp help.

mark1961

Ensign
I am thinking about purchasing a Mariner 85hp with the serial number being 4311747, can anybody tell me what year it was made and if their are any "issues" with this model I should look out for? I have heard that they might be prone to having the bearing caps loosening, is this correct? Btw, as far as I know it's an in line 4cyl 2 stroke.

Thanks for any help that you can give guys.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mariner 85hp help.

1976-- couldn't be to many issues it's 30 years old

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mark, That motor shares a basic design with all the inline motors from Merc for the 70's and part of the 80's. Obviously the design was good. The only issues that is inherent to the motors of that type are overheating and lean running. So make sure the impeller is good and the carbs are clean and the motor is tuned properly.

mark1961

Ensign

Okay thanks guys, I should've mentioned that the motor is in Australia, does this make any difference? I was thinking the year model might be mid 80's or thereabouts. The seller has told me that it has a rattle up top, so i'd be buying it cheap knowing that it needs attention. So far i've only seen some pics of it which seem to indicate that it's in very good condition apart from the issue i've mentioned. Are they easy to rebuild?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mark, If it has a rattle "up top" you might like to replace the top main bearing. This is a pretty easy fix. Remove flywheel and stator, loosen top crancase screws, remove top endcap screws and remove end cap. The bearing may or may not come out with the cap. If not, use a puller to get it.

mark1961

Ensign

Mark, If it has a rattle "up top" you might like to replace the top main bearing. This is a pretty easy fix. Remove flywheel and stator, loosen top crancase screws, remove top endcap screws and remove end cap. The bearing may or may not come out with the cap. If not, use a puller to get it.

Okay thanks chris :D , i will be able to manage that no problem. Prior to taking it apart, can you tell if this is the problem by trying to move the flywheel back and forth and seeing how much freeplay is present?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mark, I do not know that answer. If you find play in the flywheel, you likely have a bad bearing, but I don't think that is the definitive test for it.

emckelvy

Commander

If anybody can get that upper bearing out without splitting the crankcase, let me know! I've looked on the 'net for a very thin-legged puller with skinny jaws to fit between the bearing and the crankcase when it's together, and I can't find anything that looks like it'll work.

I've got a mid-70's 850-4 with a 'thrashy' top bearing and it'd be so easy if I didn't have to pull the powerhead and split the case!

That bearing is usually so tight to the crank that you have to use a "splitter" to get it busted loose, then attack with a puller.

Thanks...........ed

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ed, Can you bolt ta harmonic balancer-type puller to the stator mounting bolts? Make sure you loosen the crankcase bolts nearby, and have all four endcap bolts out.

emckelvy

Commander

Chris, getting the upper bearing cap off is not the problem.

Getting at the bearing once you've pulled the upper cap is the hard part.

There's just not much if any room to get a puller in there, that's why I was interested in seeing if anyone has been able to do it. Once the bearing's pulled, it's also quite simple to heat the bearing up to temp in a toaster oven and slap it back on.

The only other alternative is to pull the powerhead and split the case, which I'm not looking forward to since I expect all the powerhead studs are salted-up.

Anyway, open to any/all suggestions to remove that pesky ol' bearing in place!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, one observation, one suggestion. FIrst of all the crankcase screws do not get salted up, since there is no water jacket nearby. The exhaust covers and the head water jacket cover do get salted up, and they are a problem.

Can you use a propane torch to heat up the upper bearing, so it will slip off? Moderate heat should not hurt anything. Other choice that might work would be to use a harmonic balancer puller, and use wire thru the bearing (empty spaces between the balls) to attach the puller.

emckelvy

Commander

Powerhead mounting bolts not crankcase bolts! I.E. the long studs holding the powerhead to the center section, where nasty salt builds up and makes removing the powerhead quite a chore. Nothing I haven't done before, mind you, just having a hard time working up the enthusiasm to do it!

Interesting idea with the harmonic balancer puller. Not sure if I'd feel comfortable heating the crank/bearing as I expect the bearing inner race has such a tight fit on the crank that the heat transfer between the crank and bearing would be extremely high; such that it'd end up heating the whole mess up and not expanding the race enough to pop it off.

I've got a junk crankshaft or 2 kicking around, maybe it's time to experiment.

Cheers........ed