Stalls in reverse

mr. b

Cadet
I have a 1990 Bayliner 4.3 mercruiser and when I put it in reverse it stalls the motor. Is there a safety switch or something I am over looking?
Thanks

Last edited:

n4wwl

Cadet
Re: Stalls in reverse

I have a similar issue with my 1990 Bayliner 2651 Sunbridge. Engine is a Mercuiser 5.0LX Alpha One. Whenever I try to back into the slip at my marina it stalls. I was thinking it is because the water is shallow and the prop is getting stuck in the mud, but I have the outdrive raised, so that shouldn't happen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

MJ76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is a shift interrput switch at the shift linkage (mounted to the exhaust elbow) that is meant to kill the ignition momentarily when going into neutral to allow the dog clutch in the outdrive to disengage. If the shift cable is binding for some reason it can activate this switch and stall the motor. You can watch the action of this switch while someone shifts in and out of gear to see if this is the case. The cam should move when coming out of, but not into, forward or reverse. Check for proper adjustment and free travel of the lower shift cable.

If you need more info, I would post in the I/O forum - you'll get more responses.

keith204

Cadet

My 67 mercruiser did this, and here's my solution:

It was a misadjusted cutoff switch near where the upper and lower shift cables meet. It's there so you can't go full speed in reverse (at least that's what I imagine) but it was misadjusted to cutoff the engine as soon as gas was applied in reverse. I simply adjusted a threaded adjuster, and it now goes in reverse. Maybe this helps..:cool:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My 67 mercruiser did this, and here's my solution:

It was a misadjusted cutoff switch near where the upper and lower shift cables meet. It's there so you can't go full speed in reverse (at least that's what I imagine) but it was misadjusted to cutoff the engine as soon as gas was applied in reverse. I simply adjusted a threaded adjuster, and it now goes in reverse. Maybe this helps..:cool:

Not sure what you actually adjusted on your 67, but there is no such thing as a reverse cutout switch to prevent over revving. There is however, a shift interrupt switch on the alpha and pre alpha drives that must work and be adjusted properly to shift out of gear without damaging the gears or the cables.

keith204

Cadet

Not sure what you actually adjusted on your 67, but there is no such thing as a reverse cutout switch to prevent over revving. There is however, a shift interrupt switch on the alpha and pre alpha drives that must work and be adjusted properly to shift out of gear without damaging the gears or the cables.

Ahh. well, how do I make sure I adjusted it right? It works now, I think........ uh oh.:eek: