Outboard Mounting Height

tmenius

Recruit
I have a 2001 1720cc with Yamaha C90. It's a great boat for my varied activities. (Lake, inshore salt water up to 10-12 miles, duck hunting). I get a spray off the engine cavitation plate that sprays up onto the very back of the gunnels and fans out behind the motor.

I am wondering if the engine is mounted to low. This spray and the fact that top speed is 29 - 30 GPS running
alum 13 1/4 X 17 - K prop. The boat is bottom painted.

Does anyone have any spects I can go by?
What height should the cavitation plate have in relation to the bottom keel of the boat and or the top of the notch back in the lower transom?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Outboard Mounting Height

Where is the cavatation plate in relation to the bottom of the hull when the motor is at trim?

Every boat is different and a photo would be nice. Have you had the boat or is it new to you? What is your rpm at WOT?

Here is a picture of mine at full trim
DSCN5798.jpg

I was doing some prop and engine height testing at the time.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

If you have any additional setback or step in the hull you can raise the motor higher yet.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried to raise my DF9.9 ( long shaft) on 10'6" inflatable and the propeller was slipping :( When I measured the motor leg it is 22" but the motor is sold as 20". I build the transom to 22" hight but had to cut it down back to 20"...
I guess every case is different ...

rost495

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reel Poor

I am printing the diagram, thanks!

I have a 21 Hydra sport CC. I'm assuming I also mount the motor cav plate even with the deepest part of the transom/bottom of the hull?

I"m putting it on a manual jack plate so I can get some adjustment if needed. It also sets it back just a bit.

My assumption would be leave an inch to lower below the transom and leave the rest to possibly raise it 3-4 inches if needed?

Thanks for the input!

Jeff