I felt like whining...

magster65

Commander
Gas went up to $5.58 a gallon today and it's not even close to the 'peak' time of year yet. I can see myself floating around in a 8 knot single diesel soon...

aspeck

Staff member
Re: I felt like whining...

Yep, it is on the rise again, and where it will stop, no one knows.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Still about $4;70 a gallon down here in Southwestern Ontario. I hope the price does not spread too quickly !!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ouch!:( That's hard.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi ya Magster!

The price of fuel is just another reason I didn't put in this year. Thinking about downsizing to a smaller boat or pontoon.

About 3 weeks ago all the media kept saying gas was going to go over $5. I figure if I was a big wig of the gas company and all the networks sez its going to be that much,,,,,,,,,I would go ahead and raise it to make the money. It would be stupid not to. I have noticed that every time they (the media) predict it to make a big jump,,,,it does. Its a bit strange this time here though, gas costs more than diesel. I haven't seen diesel cheaper than gas since I bought my diesel bucket truck. That was a bit over 3 years ago.

I'm thinking about introducing an old product to the market, you know the Hillbilly Credit Card,,,,,,no intrest, no payments, and a bullet proof vest for its use. Naw,,,,,that will never work,,,,,,,there wouldn't be any room on it to put all the warning and caution stickers on it.

BTW, good to see ya posting!................SS

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Paddleboat is looking ever so practikable these days. Chief Chief aka Maxx Load

OldMercsRule

Captain

I guess they bend ya over on the Canadian left coast relative to the rest o' the country just like the oil guys do in the lower part of North America to us poor souls. Wonderful! I noticed the old black boat anchors are gettin' cheaper n' more plentiful round these parts, (still collectin' a few here n' there). Hope it's just the cost o' fuel (as the beasts are hungry @ WOT) n' not the impending confiscation of my girls by the Libs!! :D :D JR

PW2

Commander

Still about $4;70 a gallon down here in Southwestern Ontario. I hope the price does not spread too quickly !!!!

Not that gas is cheap anywhere in Canada, but you have to be aware of the units of measure. I believe you are measuring an imperial gallon, which is substantially more than a US gallon, and you are paying for it with a Canadian dollar, still only worth about 85 cents US $.

magster65

Commander

Not that gas is cheap anywhere in Canada, but you have to be aware of the units of measure. I believe you are measuring an imperial gallon, which is substantially more than a US gallon, and you are paying for it with a Canadian dollar, still only worth about 85 cents US $.

Yes, that's true but here's another little twist... since my last post the mid grade fuel (marine) is now $6.07 gallon. At this rate we're going to hit $7... or more per gallon this summer. I can hardly believe it when I look at the signs at the gas stations.
I wasn't kidding about the single diesel... planing is getting expensive! It's apparent too that the prices of 'twin gas' cruisers are WAY down this year. I have friends with a 39 Carver w/ 2 454 mercs. Fuel guage says 30 gph at 3150 rpm which nets them 14 mph. 30 gph x $6.07 gallon = $182 hr to run that thing. I'm gonna' go cry now.
Cheers Mayfloat, no launch this year or just 'yet'?

Last edited:

ZmOz

Captain

Yes, that's true but here's another little twist... since my last post the mid grade fuel (marine) is now $6.07 gallon.

Well, that's still only $4.56/USD/US gallon. I was paying 4 bucks a gallon at the marina in 2003.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Paid 6$ a gallon, last August, at Lake Shasta. Looks like this summer will be a repeat. Sure taught ya to stay out of those secondaries at that price. I always thought that marinas got a 30-40% premium, but at 6$, when street gas was 3$ and no road taxes, that is like a 130% premium. Talk about a conspiracy!:mad:

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to be hauling gas down to the boat in 5 gallon tanks this summer for sure, no way im paying on the water prices. Is it a lot of extra fees from the DNR to have a pump on the water that drive up the price of on the water gas? Or is just you pay the marine premium because they built the pump on the water?

magster65

Commander

Yeah, it's happeneing everywhere. I guess we're fortunate in one way... the marina's fuel prices are very close to gas station prices.

aspeck

Staff member

Price just went up here in Ghana yesterday. We are paying a little over $4 a gallon. But to put that in perspective, the minimum wage is about $2 A DAY here! Don't you want to work for 2 DAYS to buy ONE GALLON of gas! OUCH!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

The sad part is that gas on land costs what it did last year on the water.......All ready......
Kinda reminds me of the TV commercial, "Jack my price up"
It makes me feel all warm & fuzzy to know that I can add a couple of strings to Hexxon/Mobster's CEO's 'Golden Parachute".....:mad:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You ain't seen nothin' yet, Magster.....
They are just gettin' warmed up!........;) :eek: :(

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

I can get a realy good deal on some 1ltr (61 cu inch) 3 door runabouts, they return around 73mpg if you don't drive them hard. Does anyone want to act as my import agent in the US. We're going to need to move fast, I can see in the next 2/3 years that there is going to be a huge market for them.