Replacing steering?

tinny

Cadet
Hi,
I would like some advice on a 1989 Johnson 150GT. It turns to the right fine, but somtimes to the left it gets stuck and is VERY hard to unstick. Do I need to replace the steering cables or can I just disconnect them and clean the tilt tubes out? if I replace do I use rotary or rack? And do I need to pull the motor to do this.
Thanks for any help/advice.

colofiremedic

Seaman
Re: Replacing steering?

I had the same exact problem with my Johnson 88 SPL. I had to replace the whole steering system. My boat required a rotary system. The rotary and rack systems are quite different. Look at the system that is currently in the boat and then research on the net what you need. There could be either system in the boat. Due to the way mo cable was routed it required me to lift the motor with an engine hoist high enough to replace the cable. Dont' know if you will run into the same problems or not. Good Luck.

Happy Boating!!!!!:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

disconnent the steering linc at the engine, now the engine should move freely. if not investigate. there are zerk fittings, usually you have to tilt engine all the way up to grease. i highly recommend this teleflex non feedback rotary system, user friendly, easy to install. you can take you hand off wheel with out the torque turning the wheel.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?site=steering&type=us&product=1085

rack and rotary differences: i posted pictures in this thread, so you can tell what you presently have. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=185960

tinny

Cadet

Thanks TD,
Apparently I have a dual rack system. After disconnecting the motor, the motor moves freely. I'm sure it is a cable problem and was wondering if it just needs cleaning out of the tilt tube. However I can't get the cables all the way out of the tilt tubes. If I do replace can I replace with a rotary?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yes, with that size engine use the nofeedback rotary system. you will be very pleased. getting the cable out of the tilt tube is the hardest part on an old motor. use a block of oak wood, as a cushion, and drive it out. once even with the tilt tube, you can use a rod as a drift pin to drive it the rest of the way. you may have to lift the engine inorder to get it out, depending on how your splashwell is made. just be careful not to mushroom the end of the cable rod, or it won't go thur the tube. sometimes it's easier to take a sawzall, w/ metal cutting blade, and cut the cable going to the helm close to the engine, so it doesn't bind coming out. feel free to ask more,