Engine cover seal cleaning

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 85 johnson 70hp that is white and the engine cover seal should be white.
unfortunately over the years the rubber has had moisture and mold, salt, dust, and pollen on it and now it is almost black i color.
From a distance it looks like a black pin stripe but up close it looks like grunge.
any miracle chemicals that will make it white again?

popgun

Recruit
Re: Engine cover seal cleaning

I had one of those also, an '87 model. I never found anything magic, just used to spray it with bleach. Once I mixed a solution in a container of some sort and let the cover sit in it enough to cover the gasket. Watch out for the foam if you do that.

Never could get it back to perfectly white. You can buy another gasket. I did buy one, but never used it and gave it away last year.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

very common, as the sun dries out the rubber. i've had some success using comet and a sponge.

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class

very common, as the sun dries out the rubber. i've had some success using comet and a sponge.

I'll give it a try.
I have tried bleach and auto whitewall cleaner(not together) without much luck.

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class

may be time to replace.

Quite honestly I am definatly thinking about it but i am trying to save a little $$ for gas.
If it was broken or not working i would not hesitate to fix it but it just dirty looking and it is fully functional.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

masking tape and spray paint. google tempo paint, outboards.