Cowling gasket question

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer
Ive read here that some parts from 60s 28h-33h-40h are interchangable. Would the cowling gaskets be as such? I need one for my 62 28h johnson and if I could expand my search a little I may have more luck, thanx.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cowling gasket question

I have had success using plain old black fuel line as a new gasket material. For yours I would use 1/8-inch ID hose. I set up an X-Acto knife blade in a vice, with maybe 3/16-inch of it sticking up out of the vice jaws. I then draw the hose over it lengthwise to slit one side of the hose. Then I run a bead of adhesive into the slit in the hose and work it over the lip on the lower belly pan. I've done several like this and it works well...
- Scott

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Ok theres an idea to try, thanx chinewalker. I was thinking like maybe somekind of weatherstripping or the like. How about the possible interchangable 33h or 40h parts?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

They would certainly share quite a bit as they are from the same family of "Big Twin" motors. However, there are also quite a few differences. Where you're concerned, the cowling stuff is probably pretty close...
- Scott