Leaking Carburetor in 1988 Evinrude 120

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just cleaned all 4 of my carbs. The last one I did, I can't seem to get to stop leaking. It is the only one that I took the seat (below the needle) out. I don't know if there is a specification for how to put the seat back in. I thought maybe I had tightened it too much, so I took it apart again and redid the seat less tightly. It stopped it for a little while, but now it is overflowing a ton of fuel.... my manual is on order.

Some carbs have a washer below the seat. This one didn't. Does anyone know if it should?

The needle is new. The only things I can think of that would cause the overflow (it pours out of the small hole below the air intake) is

1) bent float
2) bad needle
3) bad seat
4) seat too tight.

Any thoughts- thanks

MJ76

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Leaking Carburetor in 1988 Evinrude 120

Did the others have a washer underneath the seat? They usually do. If you are going to have to take it apart again anyhow, just get a carb kit (or maybe you did already?) and use all new pieces. Turn the carb upside down and blow into the fuel inlet. If you can blow through even a little bit, the needle isn't seating right, or it's dirty (did you change the fuel filter?) or damaged. Also, make sure the float level is set correctly. And if you're deforming the slot in the seat with your screwdriver, it's too tight.

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the response. That is a great website for parts diagrams. It looks like it doesn't have a washer, so I am guessing either the seat is bad or the float needs to be adjusted. I will try that again.

I had already put a new racor filter and the small inline fuel filter, so I think the fuel should be clean.

Last edited:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If your carb body has an area benieth the seat that looks like a washer is made into the casting, it doesn't require a washer. If the area below the seat is completely flat with the rest of the body, it requires a washer.

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep- you are right. There is a ridge molded into the casing below the seat. Thanks. The new needle that I used was for a 70 hp evinrude and it looked identical in dimensions but it didn't have the orange rubber tip like the one replaced (it was metallic colored). I was told that they had just switched materials, but I am wondering if that is the problem. Seems like the easiest (cheapest) place to start.

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK- I cleaned the carb again and kept all the same parts because I found a deposit lodged in the seat. It seems to be holding now. Not sure where that deposit came from, hopefully that will be the end of it. I have 2 filters so I shouldn't be pulling anything more in......

thanks for all your help fellas.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

hopefully you are fixed. rarely do we get someone to admit they found something. could have been in the line.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Be careful with 2 filters that you don't end up with a fuel restriction.

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks I will keep an eye on the fuel restriction. I should know today as I am heading out this evening to test the engine and specifically to see how it runs on the prop it came with, so I can decide whether to replace it with a dirrerent diameter/pitch.

throwback2332

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Iboats have carbs kit just got mine for about $12 bucks a piece had to get three, no float just gaskets, needle and seat. Better than my local OMC dealer, $100 bucks, then didn't want to sell me 1 cylinder head gasket. Also look into a fuel pressure guage ties into your warning system and alarms when fuel pressure drops.