New Sailboat Owner. Needs Advice!!!

pdspopeye

Recruit
Hey!!! I just bought a 1971 Venture 17. I have cleaned it up and taken it out sailing twice. The first time, I had a little water in the bottom of the boat. It collected around the area in front of where my Keel bolts are. The second time I took it out. I got down in and looked to see where it was coming from. I thought was coming in during launch or during sailing, But it turns out it isn't coming in at all. I was very happy to find this out.

THe water was very stagnent and, apparently gathers around the inside of the boat when it is trailored. It settles back under the cockpit and collects. There really isn't enought worry about. I just sopped it up with a towel. Now for real problem. Back under the cockpit inside the boat. it is covered with green gunk. algae and General Lake Slime I assume, that has grown there from it setting on the trailor tilted back. I can't get to it because the area is too small for me to get back into. I can reach it with a mop and cleaner, but that constitutes adding water and cleaner to the mix and more sopping up with a towel. I don't mind doing this, but I was wondering if anybody has ever put a boat plug in the transom or back in that area to drain such problems? The only reason I hesitate to do this is because I hate outting holes in boats. It could let water in and we definitely don't want that. Any advice would be appreciated.

flashback

Captain
Re: New Sailboat Owner. Needs Advice!!!

welcome to Iboats, guess you could put a bilge pump in the boat, a boat that small, shoot, you could use a hand pump.. If what you say is true, then lower the trailer tongue so the water doesen't collect in the stern..most likely it is rain water so throwing a tarp over the companion way will probably keep the water out.. if you can't access the inside of the transom, then I would not suggest putting a drain plug in it.. Im like you, I don't like holes below the waterline....

jimfj

Seaman Apprentice

There are some really tight screw in type plugs on the market. Look for one that is used in the Laser sailboat. Cut the hole and seal around the plug with 3M 5200 sealant. You will not have a leak. period. The plug can be accessed from the outside of the boat when you are on the ramp and the water drained.

Try Annapolis Performance Sailing for the plug. They are only $10.00 or so.

Jim

sand sailor

Cadet

bleach on the mop and swab it good . thet'll kill what ales your boatfor sure

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one (a 69) and always had a little water in the bilge also. There is a "rubber" hose that connects the bottom of the hull to the "deck" that has the cable for the swing keel. This hose slowly deteriorates and will eventually fail. Mine did and the boat sunk. It was only in 4 feet of water, so I was able to recover it. I took the old hose to an auto parts store and they found some radiator hose with the same ID (don't remember what size it was). I replaced it and no more leaks!

Also, replace the cable to the swing keel with two cables. This way when one of them fails (and it will) the other will keep the keel from slamming back down (and it will) and it will allow you to retract it and put the boat on the trailer without damaging the keel.

Last edited: