Reinstalling Outdrive

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class
I removed my Mercruiser Alpha One Gen One Outdrive last fall to paint it. It is now painted and ready to go back on. I've never done this before. Are there any precautions, things to check, tricks.....

I remember the shift cable has to be a certain way, but thats all I remember. The older I get the less I remember.

Any feedback will be appreciated. I think I do have the Merc manual archived on my computer somewhere. I'm picking up a new gasket today. Is it ok to use Gasket sealer? not nessesary?

Thanks in advance.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reinstalling Outdrive

Gasket sealer is not necccessary......
Remember to put the drive in foreward.....
A bungee to hold it in fwd can be helpful......
A glob of grease on the wheel of the shift shaft coupler helps to keep the cable end aligned.....
Sometimes you need to turn the prop slightly ccw to help the splines to engage....
Don't forget to use spline grease on the splines......:)

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I removed my Mercruiser Alpha One Gen One Outdrive last fall to paint it. It is now painted and ready to go back on. I've never done this before. Are there any precautions, things to check, tricks.....

I remember the shift cable has to be a certain way, but thats all I remember. The older I get the less I remember.

Any feedback will be appreciated. I think I do have the Merc manual archived on my computer somewhere. I'm picking up a new gasket today. Is it ok to use Gasket sealer? not nessesary?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that should help. Scroll all the way down to the last two pages. In one of the pictures they show the shift shaft, designated by an (a). This is the bugger that got me #@$@%@
If you will put some heavy grease (wheel bearing grease) on the top of the shift shaft then shove it up into the upper shift shaft lever on in the drive bellhousing it will remain in place till you get the drive foot installed.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6A3R3.PDF

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info guys. I'm hoping to put everything back together tomorrow. Thats why taking things apart and trying to put back together 5 months later. My memory is good for about 2 hrs when it comes to that stuff.

One question. Spline Grease? Is this something I most go to the boat shop for?

Thanks Again

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer

I would say any marine grease.And don't forget the o-ring for the water passage.Good luck.