ALUMACRAFT TROPHY 175 can pull with a v6

timfrommt

Recruit
Hi,
I am thinking about purchasing a Alumacraft Trophy 175 with a 115 hp motor, I am wondering if I could pull this safely with a 03 Ford Explorer, it has a v6 in it. Please help let me know. Also if anyone is pulling this a v6 and how does it tow???

Tredeb

Seaman Apprentice
Re: ALUMACRAFT TROPHY 175 can pull with a v6

What is the towing capacity of that unit. Keep in mind that towing capacities are not calculated with a full truck. You really need to use the GCVW Gross combined vehicle weight and figure it out from there. Keep in mind that the fuel, motor, trailer and gear will all add to your boat's weight.

Personally, I would try to tow it and see how it felt. If you have enough power and enough braking for agressive stops, you will probably be OK. Keep in mind, with smaller vehicles, you may get pushed around a bit by a larger load.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you are making only short trips you might get by ok. But I think you are pushing the limits. While you may have enough power, Explorers are relatively short wheel base vehicles and at the upper end of the towing limit you have a "tail wagging the dog" scenario. Hook up to a friends boat of similar size and try it. In many states, the trailer may require brakes with that load. I looked up the specs for the boat and it's dry weight (no engine, fuel, gear, batteries, etc) is 1215#. If its a current model, it will be considerably heavier as they are wider than the 04's. I total the rig at between 2600 and 2700 pounds which includes the trailer. Add some people and you have a pretty fair load.

Pony

Rear Admiral

What is the tow rating on that Explorer? That is the first thing you have to figure out before you can go any further.

I have a V6 in my DAK that I tow with (pretty big v6 with tranny cooler etc), but it has a normal truck wheelbase. Though I have a light boat now (14ft alumacraft), the previous boat was a 15ft glass trihull with a big ole rude on it.....not to mention that it was waterlogged and full of gear. That was a pretty heavy set-up. The truck towed it really well.........90% of the driving I did with it was at least a 2hr trip. Otherwise I agree with Silvertip on the wheelbase issue. The Explorer wheelbase is pretty short, with a bigger heavier boat like that you may get "pushed" around a bit.

Tredeb

Seaman Apprentice

I recently picked up my Trophy 185 with my full sized Chevy. I think you will most definately want surge brakes on your trailer. There is only about 230lbs difference in the two boats so I would think you may struggle if you are on any long trips or in hilly terrain.

Have fun!