truhull transducer

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i'm installing a garmin transducer into a fiberglass boat it says to use sealant .... what should i use?
ty

MJ76

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: truhull transducer

Use a good marine bedding sealant, SikaFlex 291, 3M 5200, or something equivalent from your local marine supply joint. Your basic silicone isn't really suitable for below the waterline.

drewpster

Commander

One thing I can advise against is using epoxy to glue the thing down. I used the stuff supplied with the transducer for my depth sounder. When it did not work the way I expected I found myself with a permanent hockey puck glued to the floor of my bilge. No way it's coming off. Annoying!

Last edited:

Fishstick1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have always used the epoxy, but you must first put the boat in the water and place the transducer in the desired location by hand. Preferably as far to the rear and as close to centerline as you can get. You must put a little water in the hull to fill in the air pockets under the transducer to see if it will work properly where you put it. Once you find a good spot you must get back on the trailer, drain the hull, dry the area and epoxy the unit down. Allow for cure time before bouncing across the lake. But as previously stated, once it's glued...it's staying there forever! Be very sure it's in the right spot!
Hope this helps. Good luck.

xtraham

Lieutenant

for through haul transducer's I always use 3M 5200 sealant, works great cures under water, but very hard to remove if you need to change it, the other alternative would be 3M 4200 it's a little easier to remove

MJ76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just to be clear, are you talking thru-hull as in put a hole in the boat and install the transducer (in which case you would use a sealant or bedding compound) or a transducer that you mount inside the boat that works through the hull (in which case you would use the epoxy)?

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it already has a hole from a previous one . yes got to install a new one and drill a bigger hole

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

3M 4200 Fast cure is the correct product for this application.