1975 40hp Wiring question

TAC_Double

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am working on a boat I just bought. It has a 1975 40hp engine on it. Model 40555C. When I bought it, the pervious owner said it would need a new solenoid. I am in the middle of replacing it. Here is my question.... On the battery lead of the solenoid there are 2 red wires connected with a ring terminal, that look like it belongs on the battery side of the solenoid... This was not connected to the old one... Should these be hooked up? Looks like they were at one time... and the are just the right length to hook to that side....

Any ideas?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 40hp Wiring question

Yes they should be hooked up to the battery side. One feeds the start switch and accessories and the other comes from the alternator rectifier to charge the battery.

If you have any electrical savy, check out the starting circuit before running out and buying a solenoid. At least 50%of solenoids are replaced unnecessarily. Personally, I'd put it at 90%, but am being nice.

TAC_Double

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I thought they should be connected. My plan was to turn the key and see if she had any sign of life... At this point, we have no sign of life. Looking under the console, I have a purple/whiteand a black one hanging... looks like they are from the choke switch... Going to go and see if I can trace the power and see what has any.

TAC_Double

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did some checking of the wiring system. I found that the choke knob on the dash is disconnected, one wire hanging inside the console which is purple and white but there is not a second wire for that switch to be found.

Also found that the 20amp inline fuse on the engine wiring was blown, headed to get a replacement.

Does that purple/white wire go to the choke? If so, what should connect to the other terminal on that switch?

I am trying to track down a no start condition, is there a way to test the ignition switch?

Sorry for all the questions, my manual has yet to arrive.

Thanks....

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There should be a wire from the "A" terminal of the ignition switch going to the choke switch. The purple and white goes to the other terminal on the choke switch. Engine end of purple and white goes to choke solenoid.

TAC_Double

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok,

Got to take a look at the ignition switch. I have a Black wire that is disconnected, I am guessing this a ground that should be connected. I have a small red wire from the battery which is on the terminal with the red lead from the engine. the small red wire is disconnected from the battery.

Should the black wire be connected to ground?

Should the small red wire be connected to the battery?

There are no markings on the ignition switch. I was going to hook a lead from the switch to the choke switch, not sure what terminal to put it on.

Still waiting on the manual

Thanks for your help!