I can't go backwards!

OneFineFiftyNine

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I'm working on a 1970 Larson I/0 with a 120 Mercruiser. I believe it is GM 4 cylinder engine, I am not 100% sure what the outdrive is as there are no markings to speak of and the number stamped on it is no longer legible. The outdrive is currently removed for another problem I was having. (the outdrive was siezed up)

Ever since I got the boat, I haven't been able to shift it into reverse. It will go into forward just fine, but when you try to shift in it reverse, the shifter handle only goes about an inch before it feels like it is binding up. You can see the cables moving accordingly, but not very far.

My question is, if you can tell from the info I have given...what could be causing that? Is the transmission a part of the outdrive itself, or is it somewhere in between the engine and outdrive? If it were part of the outdrive, then obviously something else is wrong as I still cannot shift into Reverse with the outdrive off. (This problem existed before I removed the outdrive as well).

Any advice would be great. If you need more information, I will do my best to find it out for you. I should be getting a replacement outdrive this week and I would like to get to the bottom of this mystery before I bolt the new outdrive back up, in case it has to come back off again. (That thing is heavy!!!)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: I can't go backwards!

I would disconnect the lower shift cable @ the shift plate located on the engine....
It has a nut that looks like a barrell......
My guess is that it is probably bad.....
You should probably replace it anyway if its age is unknown.....
With that disconnected do you get a full range of motion?
The drive/trans are in the same unit that you are replacing, btw...
Here is a link to the service manual for your drive.....
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6B4R3.PDF........:)

Fishstick1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was the motor running? If the motor is not running, you may need to spin the prop by hand a little to get it to shift. I ask this because I can't tell by your post if you ever ran the boat or if you were just trying to shift it on the trailer with the motor not running.
Good Luck!

Sorry... just read your post again and you do say the LU is off and you still cant shift into reverse. Kinda hard to spin the prop if there aint one on there!

OneFineFiftyNine

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies Haut Medoc and fishstick. I printed that manual out, that will definitely come in handy. I will disconnected the cable the first chance I get and post the outcome.

OneFineFiftyNine

Seaman Apprentice

I disconnected the cable and now I do have a full range of motion. Upon more inspection, I determined that the reason the shift cable would only go into reverse about a half inch was that was all the travel the cable would allow at it's current adjustment! The large piece on the end of the cable at the outdrive would hit the outdrive long before you ever got very far into reverse.

I am going to replace the cable anyway, because it definitely looks old. I saw in the service manual you sent me it calls out for a tool to turn the nut that secures it to the bell housing, and it definitely looks like that nut is hard to get to. Has anyone found a way to do this without buying that tool, or know how to perhaps make a tool out of a socket?

Again, this site is awesome, thanks for the advice!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You can weld a nut onto a deep 9/16 socket & accomplish the same thing....
Just make sure the nut is large enough for the cable end to stick out......;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can also use pliers and screw the white plastic guide out of the cable. Rmeove. Do the same thing to the new one. You don't have to grip the new one so hard as to damage it, usually just a bit more than finger pressure is all that is needed to remove it.

All Bets are off if you still have the old style cable that is threaded into the pivot housing from the forward side.

Old-New%20shift%20cable.png

OneFineFiftyNine

Seaman Apprentice

Fortunately, for me, the nut is threaded from the rear side of the pivot housing. I don't normally get this lucky, haha.

I will try both suggestions. Gives me a chance to practice my welding skills. And probably burn a few holes in my T shirt.

Thanks again, I will post the results.

RayT

Recruit

I have a 1995 Mercruiser 5.0 that will go in forward, shifts into reverse, but will not engage fully. I have adjusted cables according to manual specs, but still will not fully engage into reverse. HELP!

sker crunch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Ray....

Hey Ray....

You need to start your own thread. No one will see this buried in here.

RayT

Recruit

I would enter a new thread if I knew how!! ha ha

sker crunch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go to the index page that lists all the categories. On the left side towards the top there is a blue oval button that says start new thread. That will get you a new one started. Good Luck.