Locating Fuses on a 40 hp outboard help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to determine how many fuses there are on a 2006 40 hp Yamaha outboard? I hooked up a brand wire harness/ 703 side controls and I'm getting nothing when I turn the key. (No noise) (No Click)

I found one small 20 amp fuse on the left side of the motor, which I think is for the tilt. Can someone please tell me if there other fuses and where?

Thank you

sea monkey

Cadet
Re: Locating Fuses on a 40 hp outboard help

Is that a 2 or a 4 stroke motor? Also, if nothing else, check the fuse link at the battery itself.

It's a four stroke. I have only located one small 20 amp fuse so far that was fine.
A friend of mine said that I might have messed up the neutral alignment security when I installed the control box. Could this be a possibilty why I get nothing when turning the key?

pontoon chief

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There should be a fuse in the red wire at the front of the engine.It should be encased in a black rubber inline fuse holder.

Thanks for the help, I will look for it. I was also thinking about checking the neutral control and the key switch. What do you guys think?

TheFin

Seaman

Is the trim working ?? If the fuse is gone, then the trim is not working.

Yes, the trim is working fine. Any ideas what I could check?

TheFin

Seaman

Try to move the shifter at the same time you turn the key. Maybe the neutral microswitch inside the 703 is not in "neutral" position.
There is only one 20A fuse.

Fin, I tried what you said and I still didn't get anything. I'm starting to think I might have screwed up the wire harness. I have no idea at this point.

TheFin

Seaman

Open the control box and take a look at the micro-switch. I think the switch is broken and thats the problem.
There is 2 brown cables that goes to the switch.
When you have the cover open, remove the switch (2 screws+cables) and connect cables (brown-brown) that comes from harness.
After this it should start if the switch is the problem.

Here is a picture of the control box and the switch (part no. 54)

http://www.boats.net/parts/search.h...|620304660031||REMOTE+CONTROL+COMPONENT+PARTS

P.S: I'm not so good in English......... Hope that you understand.

Fin, I really appreciate the help. I will check it out this weekend.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

shoot me an e-mail
i should have the manual for u

TheFin

Seaman

What was the problem ? Is it OK now ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes there are fuses in / on the motor wiring harness.----Easy to find when you remove the cover.

Jone1923

Recruit
Hi, I’m having the same issue with my 40hp Yamaha 4-stroke. I can’t get anything to happen with my controls. Turning key does nothing. Accessories are working. Additionally I can control my trim via up and down buttons on the motor. I have tried swapping out my ignition control box but no luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.