Changing Lower Unit Oil

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I attempted to change my lower unit oil this weekend. I went online and bought the 80W-90 hypoid gear oil from a suzuki dealer, new seals and the suzuki hand pump. I used a level to make sure the motor was sitting straight and I began to pump oil through the drain whole. Let me tell you that I thought it would have been easier than that but an hour later I mananged to get the oil to come out the vent hole. I quickly screwed in the nut at the top and removed the hose and put the screw in at the lower end. Like it said in the manual wait ten minutes and check the oil level screw port. Well I waited an hour and when I opened up that screw the oil started gushing out. I probably lost a few ounces of fluid before it stopped and could see oil at the lower side of the hole. I am wondering if thats suppose to happen or should there be very little oil come out when i go to check the level? This is on an '06 Suzuki 175 4 stroke. Thanks for you comments!

RiverBoy

Cadet
Re: Changing Lower Unit Oil

when you do this the motor is not supposed to be level, you need to align the top hole with the bottom hole, this is hard to expalin but the motor should be tilted up about one second's worth if you were pushing the electric tilt. If that is not clear picture this, if you were to drain the lower unit oil and you wanted to position the motor so it would drain as fast as possible you would tilt the motor up a few degree. I hope this makes sense, anyways when you do this the lower unit willl fill up and you wont get to much of a mess.

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Changing Lower Unit Oil

hmmm...your explanation dose make sense. the manual just said to have th engine vertical when doing this process but i will do what you say and see where the level of oil is. thanks for the input!