1986 EVINRUDE XP150 won't run?????HELP???

throwback2332

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought this motor and the guy said it quit going across the lake one day. Well I cleaned the carbs, replaced fuel lines, blocked off the oil injection line and mixed my gas, replaced spark plugs. Here the problem, getting spark at all 6 spark plugs, fuel in the carb bowl, BUT NO fuel in the cylinder heads. Put a little mixed gas into the cylinder heads with a spoon and it fired right off then quit. Can anyone give me some ideas to try.
Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 EVINRUDE XP150 won't run?????HELP???

That sound like the carburetors are fouled, clogged, gummed. The cure would be to remove, clean, and rebuild them using complete carburetor kits.

However, before getting into that...... Are you pushing the key in to activate to fuel primer solenoid as you're cranking the engine to start it? And if so, is fuel flowing out those small lines from the primer solenoid when you're cranking the engine with the key pushed in?

throwback2332

Petty Officer 3rd Class

NEW INFO
I pulled carbs and intake/reeds. Cylinder number 5 lower left has a gray rocky substance pulled cover off of the side of the piston and i'm in the process of cleaning it. Any extra info. Plus will need some gaskets tomorrow and good places to go stay in sherman but will be down towards dallas tomorrow.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

For reference, standing in back of the engine, facing it, the cylinders are numbered as:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When you said you cleaned the carbs, did you mean to disassembled them and removed the jets for cleaning and inspection? What did the bottoms of the bowls look like?

throwback2332

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bowls were surprisingly clean, pulled them apart and let them sit in acetone for a couple of hours.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Did you remove the jets and check them to be sure they are open. Each carb will have three pairs of jets. Helpful to have the special OMC jet tool when removing jets.

throwback2332

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No did not remove jets. This substance was in there before i pulled the carbs, haven't had it running let.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I always remove the jets on an engine I am unfamiliar with. I soak the carb bodies in Bombardier Engine Tuner. A strong light and a pressurized can of carb cleaner is also a start. Not only with they get clogged the residual thick gum from gas, but may also collect debris in them. A single strand of wire from a stranded wire may help. Be sure not to harm the inside surface of the jet. While you do not necessarily need to remove the jets, you do need to make sure they are clear.

Tredeb

Seaman Apprentice

Usually just a screwdriver or small wrench is required on snowmobiles, I haven't done a boat carb but i imagine they would be similar.

It really sounds as if that may be your culprit. It is quite common to have residue in carbs on engines that see seasonal use or have been stored for prolonged periods.

Carb cleaning really should be high on the priority list when bringing an engine out of storage. Carbs may seem intimidating but there is really nothing to them once they are apart.

I would get a carb rebiuld kit and replace all the gaskets and rubbers on an engine that age. (If it has not been done recently)