leaking 1996 221 islander

behindu52

Recruit
my 1996 islander is beginning to leak a little and i want to fix it right.I am removing the floor n such to see exactly where all leaks are at. I need to know what type of rivets and the size of them that r oem for this boat,as well as where i can purchase these from,if anyone can help or give me a better method...im all ears.

Thanks
bubba

happyfishrman

Recruit
Re: leaking 1996 221 islander

I've heard several times from other Islander owners w/ the same problem, one fix that seems to work well is to take the boat (w/the floor removed) to a company that sprays in the "Rhino-liner". This is usually marketed to pick-up truck owners to protect their truck bed but apprently the stuff is fantastic for stopping leaks in the hulls of aluminum craft. I'd still fix all rivets first, then apply a solid coat of Rhino-Liner. Good luck!

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: leaking 1996 221 islander

When I replaced the floor on our '67 Starcraft, filled the boat to just above the floor line and marked any rivet that was leaking. Careful that adds allot of weight. I didn't have allot of leaky rivets. I was able to tighten all but one, without replacing. That troublesome rivit was right on the bow V. I ended up epoxing that one, but it is not something I would do for multiple rivits. It has held water tight so far. Make sure you retest before putting the floor in.