Mono hull vs. Cat hull

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all,

It is time to change boats. My requirements have changed from family boating to more fishing type boating. My shallow V bowrider, although fitted with removable boards that replace the seats fore and aft, to serve as fishing platforms, is no longer suitable in choppy weather. I also wish to go to sea and do more estuary type fishing.

As many different people as you speak to as many differing opinions will be offered on the usefullness of each hull. Also legislation here requires two motors for trips greater than 5nm from shore.

The cat some say is more stable, is great for beach launching as it stays upright. They are heavier and require more handling and motor power. Some say that under power they are less stable than a mono hull and have less bouyancy.

The mono on the other hand some say is more fitting for boats less than 20' in length. They are lighter an easier to launch and trailer.

Your thoughts please on the two hulls as well as having a forward mounted consol or centre mounted consol.

Attached are the two contenders.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Concept 16 Mono.jpg
    Concept 16 Mono.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
  • F16 Cat Launching.jpg
    F16 Cat Launching.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
  • F16 Cat, view from business end.jpg
    F16 Cat, view from business end.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 0

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mono hull vs. Cat hull

Well, hey. :) I have never been on a cat that small before, but have been out on a 25 footer on a day with a wide variety of conditions. I have always lusted for one, but I was actually somewhat disappointed. Very smooth and handled the big water well as expected, but I also think she seemed to wallow, and often felt foreign or uncomfortable as she reacted counter intuitively.

I have owned 3 different v-hulls and piloted many others. They always seem to perform as I intend or expect. They misbehave only if I do something stupid. I am not completely over my lust for a cat, but I need to spend some more time aboard before I would buy one. Right now, I'd go with 20 degrees or more of deadrise and stick with a V . . .

Edit: Lookin' at the pics again, that cat is pretty sweet . . . Both nice boats.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

"The mono on the other hand some say is more fitting for boats less than 20' in length."

That is my feeling. Though I wouldn't be interested in any cats under 25'. Small cats just feel clunky to me (I like a agile boat). Big, powerful cats would be a whole other story. Honestly, this comes down to personal preference. Get a demo ride if you can.

Kelly Cook

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my #1 complaint with center consoles, is, they are using too big a console. i took the big 3 ft x4 ft console out of my 18' boat, and installed this 18 inch x 24 inch console. gain all the usable space. the battery box works as a great foot rest. was suppose to go under the console but i was 1/2" too short. too much work to change.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/tashasdaddy/MVC-850S-1.jpg

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

In high horse power 30' and above boat's cat's are in there element,a small 20' boat i doubt that tech could be taken advantage of. That thing must be expensive though, id take a ride in a boat of this style.
004410.jpg

You may want to go over to the The Hull Truth that is there kinda of boating :D and they are very opinionated over there..

Last edited:

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

At least that one comes with a nice crew Tail_Gunner :D :D

mashed

Recruit

has anyone got any info on witch handels rough water better 7m cat or pontoon boat looking to upgrade from 5.6m pontoon for cod and cray fishing in rough water

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

4 year old thread... let it die and start a new one if you're looking for advice.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard mashed!! Are you in Oz?

has anyone got any info on witch handels rough water better 7m cat or pontoon boat looking to upgrade from 5.6m pontoon for cod and cray fishing in rough water

Cats are pretty popular down there, and I don't think there is really any debate about a pontoon's seaworthiness vs. almost anything else. In comparison, they aren't. Nobody throw anything at me, but I think that it's pretty clear that most 'toons are going to lose out vs. a 23 foot v-hull or fast cat.