150 johnson

Mtribute

Cadet
i recently bought 1989 johnson 150. it's presently running fine with oil injection, but with its age should i disconnect and mix oil and gas to avoid serious problems incase oil injection fails?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 150 johnson

Well, engines burning premix never lose lubrication, Mtribute, but engines with working VRO or oil injection sure are convenient.

Want to add 2.75 gallons to the tank? How much oil to add? VRO doesn't care, it just keeps the mix correct. . . as long as it is working correctly.

The convenience of oil injection comes with some risk, the security of premix comes with some inconvenience. You take your pick and pay your bux.

I am going to disable the VRO on my '88 Johnny 60, but only because I can't find a good place to put the oil tank in my 15' boat.

johnson1989

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 150 johnson

I have oil injection on my 89 110HP and its great not having to deal with pre mix. You should have some type of alarm on your controls if it is simlar to mine. Test to make sure they work ok and if they do you should have no worries. Some people will probably say differnt due to having already burnt up a motor. I know some dealers around her change over all of theirs on older motors just to prevent the issue. Mostly because of un knowlegable owners not even realizing what the alarms mean. Its somewhat of a user decision. But I always say if it aint broke dont try to fix it